11

It seemed to take an eternity for the Meal Trill to sound. "Are you okay?" I whispered to granddad, as we left the field and lined up in a row for Quota Check.

"Be quiet," scolded Granddad, clearly out of breath.

A tear streamed down Marta's cheek as the airdrone zoomed up in front of her. She placed her hand on the glass, and the blue light turned green. An equal sign appeared on the front of the drone, showing she had met her Field Quota. Another equal sign flashed moments later, indicating Marta's quota would remain unchanged the following day.

"Verbal request," said Marta, before the orb moved away from her.

I tensed up. Verbal requests were dangerous. Simply asking the Privus a question often led to the stilt striders taking you away in the night.

The airdrone's green light blinked three times, which meant Marta was free to ask her question.

Marta swallowed hard. "I request my Care Card be transferred to my grandfather. Please, let him watch over Annie. Allow us to swap our quotas."

I knew what Marta was attempting, but it was risky.

"Don't!" choked my Grandfather.

The airdrone hovered in place for nearly a minute, its inner light extinguished. Finally, the light returned, flashing red twice. Marta's request was denied.

Marta steeled herself, fighting back tears while clenching her fists. I shared her apprehension. Granddad's collapse may have sealed his fate.

The airdrone slipped sideways in front of me and I placed my hand on its curved surface. A green equal sign flashed twice in succession. My Field Quota had been met and extended to the next day.

My grandfather was next. He remained stoic as he received a red minus sign followed by a red X from the drone. He hadn't met his Field Quota, and most troubling, his next quota had been completely cancelled. This was the worst news imaginable.

Marta sobbed as the drone lifted away and the Meal Trill blared throughout the zone. Annie was crying inside the tent.