*35

I suspected my next reading lesson could very well be my last. Rather than dwelling on my fears—which were many—I focused on the task at hand, doing my best to push down my feelings for Daun as I listened carefully to Granddad's instructions. Neither of us seemed ready to discuss what we had just suffered through.

"Well, boy...you're still slow, but definitely capable. Your comprehension is remarkably good and your vocabulary is improving. We won't talk about your penmanship."

I managed a laugh. "Good. Thanks for this, Granddad."

"Do you think you're ready to take over for me? To finish writing the book?"

I gave a reluctant nod. "I think so."

"Excellent. I've managed to condense all my research and notes down to a few pages I've relegated to the index. It will be easier for you to refer to than a bunch of loose notes."

"I was about to ask you where all the stuff on your walls went."

Granddad sighed. "I stripped my partition bare earlier this evening. Having them festooned with forbidden objects was a stupid risk I shouldn't have taken."

"Granddad, we have to talk about the announcement," I said, moving closer. I had been preparing to tell him about my late-night excursions, but I knew he wouldn't approve of my rash actions. I didn't want to extinguish all the trust he had put in me.

"What's there to say? It's time to prepare for the worst, boy. Whatever happens, you must protect this book. It contains something even more potent than our people's history—a secret I've never divulged to another soul."

"What is it? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want to fill your head with foolish ideas, at least not until our lessons were finished. Now that you can read competently, I suppose there's no use in keeping secrets."

"Please, go on," I begged, feeling likea hypocrite.