*72

"As you may remember, the High Lord was going to war," said Sheln.

"With a neighboring Privus city," said Daun. "Sheln told me that much. It's called the Southern Keep."

My granddad had suspected a war was on the way, but he died before he could elaborate on the matter. "Another Privus stronghold? Why would they attack other Privus?"

"The Privus are spread across several cities throughout the continent. The cities are all separate nation states, not one unified empire as they would like the Thrall to believe. The warlords of each territory only interact with each other peacefully when it is absolutely necessary—they're always looking to expand their reach and relish a good battle"

"So, the Southern Keep wants a battle? But there's no one left to fight," I said. "The Privus of The Walled City are all dead!"

"The lords of the Southern Keep are quite formal. They sent an envoy by airship to announce their intention to invade. Aryn—the girl who helped bring you here—rode out to meet them. She tried to inform the emissary that the Privus' within The Walled City had fallen, but he refused to listen."

"The emissary didn't even come near the gates," added Daun. "He suspected a trap."

Sheln nodded. "The Lords of the Southern Keep learned The Walled City had been stockpiling bombs—enough munitions to blow up this valley a hundred times over. It must have worried them enough to inspire a preemptive strike. The generals of the Southern Keep are sending their largest airship to level this place. Afterwards, they'll proceed to decimate every zone 'loyal' to The Walled City."

"My god," I said. "There must be something we can do."

"I'm out of ideas," said Sheln. "At least I was able to avenge Hathin—if nothing else."

"Everyone is going to die, including your daughter! We can't let that happen!" I yelled.

Daun put her hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry Danth, but we're out of options. Sheln acts tough, but we've both shed countless tears over this."

"There must be something we can do," I stammered.

"There's no use!" said Sheln, becoming cross. "The Southern Keep literally isn't listening. Their warship has turned off their communication equipment. I even took photographs of the gray, desiccated corpses lining the city—but I can't send them to their ship unless they accept my transmission!"

Aryn ran up to Sheln. "Miss Sheln?"

"Yes?" said Sheln, turning to her.

"The Southern Keep's warship is nearly here. It's...it's huge. It's surrounded by a black cloud of smaller ships. I saw them through your gazing glass from the top of the tower." The red-haired woman handed Sheln a strange tube.

"It's called a telescope, Aryn," said Sheln, taking the device. "Ugh, these hayseeds are driving me crazy." She rushed to the window and extended the tube, looking through the small end. "Damn. Their airships are faster than I imagined."

"What is she doing?" I asked.

"The telescope lets you see farther than the eye will allow," said Daun.

"We only have minutes, at the most," said Sheln with defeat.