*25

A young woman stared at me with wild eyes. A basket of pearl-white berries was clutched in her hand, plucked from the surrounding bushes. She was preparing to bolt.

"Wait! I won't hurt you," I said. "My name's Danth...I'm from Zone 28, Plot B." I didn't know what else to say.

"I'm Daun," said the petite woman, relaxing a bit. She was wearing blue coveralls instead of gray. Long blonde hair hung over her shoulder, secured in a complicated braid. I had never seen eyes so blue. "You're not supposed to be here."

"Neither are you," I said. "Where are you from?"

Daun hesitated for a moment. "Zone 29, Ranch R."

"Ranch?" I had never heard the word before. I knew other Zones existed, but I never dreamed they would be so close. "Is where we're standing part of Zone 29?"

"Well, no," said Daun, looking over her shoulder. "It's about a quarter-mile behind me." She cautiously stepped closer. "So, you must know the secret too?"

"Yes, the Privus aren't watching the zones right now."

"Right," said Daun, smiling politely. "This is a good time of night to pick wild gooseberries. There would be hell to pay if they caught me, but I love them so much, I can't help myself."

I looked at my watch. "Damn, I have to go! Please, can you come back tomorrow? I'd really like to talk to you some more!" Maybe this woman knew something or somebody that could help my family escape the Privus.

"I...I don't know. I'm not supposed—"

"We're already breaking the rules," I interrupted with a nervous smile. "Please?"

Daun sighed, looking over her shoulder one more time. "Okay, fine. I'll come tomorrow night, at the same time."

"Great! I promise I'll be here," I said, moving over the cliff. My foot slipped and I felt myself become airborne.