*31

"I hate my zone too," I admitted. I had no reason to trust Daun, but I decided to take a chance. "I'm...I'm trying to find a way to get my family away from this place. Somewhere far away from the Privus."

Daun's eyes lit up. "Really? That's why you came all this way?"

I sighed. "Yes. I'm not even sure if escape is possible."

"Can I come with you?"

"What?" I asked, surprised.

"Mom says I need to be patient, but I can't...not anymore. I need to get away too."

I don't know why, but I said yes. I was already taking too many chances. "Daun, I don't even have a plan yet."

"Together, I know we can figure something out. The Privus want us to think they're perfect and all-knowing, but they're not...the fact you're here right now is proof."

"Alright." I smiled, finding Daun's optimism contagious. "Oh, I have something for you." I fished around in my pocket and pulled out the carving I had made and handed it to her.

Daun gasped. "It's me...riding on Tenslin! Did you carve this?"

"Yes," I told her.

Daun smiled ear to ear. "This is amazing! How did you color the wood?"

"Certain rocks and clays around our village make vibrant colors when you grind them up. I mixed the powder with some flax seed oil to bind it together then rubbed it into the wood with my fingers."

Daun hugged me tight, still holding the figure. "Thank you." Our embrace lasted a long time, far longer than it probably should have. I could feel her heart beat a little faster to match mine. She felt so warm against me. It was hard to let go and she didn't seem to want to, anyway.

Daun finally backed away, blushing. "So, what happens now?"

"I wish I knew. I have to get back soon."

"Let me take you again. Do you want to learn how to ride?"

I swallowed hard. "Ride...a horse?"

"Yeah," said Daun, letting a laugh slip out.