*73

I rushed over and grabbed the telescope. I had to see for myself. Even viewed from a great distance, the immensity of the floating warship couldn't be denied—it was larger than zones 28 and 29 combined. It was held aloft by belching blue jets, similar to the ones on the airdrones but absurdly large. The craft's storm-grey hull was lined with jagged spikes, each crowned with a riot of mismatched windows. Hundreds of smaller, more elegant ships circled the flying hulk like a flock of ravens.

I lowered the telescope and faced Sheln. "Go back to whatever you were using to communicate with The Southern Keep and keep trying to flag them down! We have to try."

It was the first time I had ever seen Sheln look afraid. She rushed to a triangular console in the corner of the throne room and began turning dials and switches. A small, red light on the device started to shine as she spoke into a mesh covered ball on the end of a thin spoke. "Hailing the captain of the Southern Keep warship, please respond," she said. "I represent The Walled City, please respond!"

No answer.

Daun was still looking out the window. "I can see them now, even without the telescope!"

I ran beside Sheln. "Are they listening?"

"No," said Sheln, banging her fist on the console. She pointed to a dim bubble of glass. "See this light? It would turn green if they were."

"Maybe we can get their attention some other way. Do they have their own telescope? Do you think they're watching us?"

"Undoubtedly," said Sheln. "I'm sure they're eyeing the royal tower as we speak, trying to figure out our 'trap.'"

"They're getting closer!" yelled Daun.

Sheln spoke into the console again. "Hailing airship! The Privus of the Walled City are all dead! Repeat, there is no reason to attack." The light stayed off.

My mind raced. I looked into the sunken eyes of the dead High Lord, his brittle, gray face offered no answers...at least at first.

"Keep trying, Sheln." I clenched my fists. "We'll show them something they can't ignore!"