*42

The woman seemed fascinated by Daun but asked her no questions. She silently motioned for us to follow her beyond the pines, so we did.

Daun wrapped her arms around me as we rode Rastin, following our mysterious savior to her private zone. Could it really be Sheln? I cursed myself for not having Granddad's book with me.

I could feel Daun's tears soaking through my clothes as she wept against my shoulder. "Poor Tenslin...I knew one day I'd have to say goodbye, but not like that. Not like that," she murmured. I put my hand on hers sympathetically, but I was thankful it hadn't been one of us ripped in two.

The enigmatic woman's home was nestled among the trees, making it nearly invisible. The structure was small but sturdy, featuring vertical walls constructed with felled trees rather than canvas. The windows were solid glass, not plastic sheeting.

"As I'm sure you're aware, we have a bit of time before the stilt striders return," said the woman. I confirmed she was taller than anyone I had ever met as she dismounted her horse. There was no doubt I was looking at a Privus woman. This has to be Sheln! I thought to myself.

"Please, come inside the cabin," said the woman, holding open the door.

The interior of the 'cabin' was just as bizarre. One wall was completely covered with metallic hunks of machinery, laden with buttons and dials. Several tables held glass vials boiling with colorful liquids, giving off an array of peculiar odors. Ration boxes were stacked in the corners. It was evident she had lived in the place for a long time, but the rule of law in her tiny zone seemed strangely lax.

"Take a seat," said Sheln. She somehow seemed troubled. After hanging her hat and coat on a brass hook, she sat in a bulky chair of unfinished pine. Daun and I took seats across from her at a large table. I had only sat in a chair a few times in my life—it felt strange.

Daun finally made eye contact with Sheln. "Thank you for saving us," she said with a gentle smile.

"My pleasure." Sheln uncorked a glass bottle and took a swig of the brown liquid inside. She pushed the bottle towards us. "Take the edge off?"

I wasn't sure what she meant. "Um, no thanks," I said. Daun shook her head.

Sheln sighed and leaned to the side, throwing a long leg over the arm of her chair. She stared at Daun for a moment. "I finally caught up with that damn serpent. It's been slithering through the grasslands for the past few days, spooking Lansred. Thankfully, it wasn't a true drone."

"Lansred's your stallion, right?" asked Daun. "He's gorgeous."

Sheln nodded. "He's a tad stubborn, but damned fast. I'm so sorry I couldn't save your horse."

"At least Rastin is alright," said Daun, her voice a whisper.

"What were those bright flashes you used to take the snake down?" I asked.

"Thermite-tipped arrows. They really throw the sentries for a loop," said Sheln.

"What are sentries?" I asked.

Sheln looked at Daun. "Can this boy do anything besides ask questions?"

Daun laughed. "He's the curious type."

"Right." Sheln grabbed the bottle again and took another drink before continuing. "Sentries are strictly used to patrol a predetermined area. Each one is programmed to kill anything honing into its path and nothing more. They're not spybots, like the airdrones or stilstries."

"Good," I said. "Why was there a man inside it?"

"No...its my turn to be curious. What are your names, and why the hell were you were looking for me?" asked Sheln, raising an eyebrow.

I knew it! I thought, holding back my excitement.

"My name's Daun and this is Danth," replied Daun.

"I'm Sheln...something your boyfriend already knew. I need to know how."

"You're Privus, right?" asked Daun.

"Yes," said Sheln, leaning closer to Daun. "And so are you, daughter."

I looked at Daun, completely stupefied.