*49

I held my sister's hand tight. "Granddad's tough...he's been through the rake before. He can survive it again."

"We both know that's not true," said Marta, defeated.

"Where's Annie?"

"She's with Sams in our tent. I wouldn't let her see this."

"Good," I said.

I could hear the twittering whispers and comments of my neighbors, even though they were doing their best to keep their distance from me and my sister.

Those poor kids. What did he do? Did he steal something? He was too old to meet the quota. Look at him, he's too frail to survive the rake. Better him than me. I knew he was up to no good. He's lucky to have lived this long.

A second stilt strider parted the swelling throng and approached the platform. "ATTENTION," blared its loudspeaker. The rowdy horde went quiet. "This...MAN...known as...ROUNDTREM, SANAR...will receive...TWO...slashes from the Rake for high crimes against the Privus."

"Two?" said Marta in disbelief.

Unlike the live announcement near the factory, the stilstry was using a prerecorded script. I had heard the same robotic baritone many times before.

"...ROUNDTREM, SANAR...has been found guilty of...DISTRIBUTION OF CONTRABAND...and...POSSESSION OF CONTRABAND...consisting of...FORBIDDEN LITERATURE AND IMAGES."

They found the book. It's all over. My legs felt weak. How did they know?

"TWO...rakes will now be administered."

I watched my grandfather close his eyes tight and clench his jaw, his teeth bared. The forearm of the stilt strider extended—its single claw separating into three vicious blades. The Rake lifted then slashed violently along Granddad's back, shredding away his coveralls. I held Marta tight as she pushed her face against my arm and screamed. Blood streamed down Granddad's legs and pooled beneath him.

The crowd was agitated. Some were crying, some screaming, some jumped and bayed like excited animals.

"Hurry, go to the tent and get the medical supplies!" I told Marta. "We have to try to save him. I'll keep him steady as long as I can." She nodded and rushed off.

I pushed through the crowd, wanting to catch granddad the moment he was dropped from the rack. As soon as the punishment was over, the IP would proceed as normally and I'd have an opportunity to save his life.

The black arm of the stilstry cranked to the side then slit through the flesh of my grandfather yet again, creating a lattice of gushing wounds on his back. I clenched my fists as granddad convulsed. More yelps and hollers filled the air.

"Punishment delivered. Proceed with IP until the trill sounds," barked the stilt strider. The three lines on its face disappeared and the blue glow returned. The machine stomped away, returning to its post as the crowd dispersed. It seemed even those who enjoyed attending the rakes didn't want to watch an old man die.

The latches on the rack popped open and my granddad fell into my arms. I laid him gently on his side, feeling hot rivulets of blood run over my hands. "I'm here Granddad," I told him, seeing his eyes search for me. Marta rushed up with bandages and gauze and began a desperate attempt to patch up the flowing wounds.

Granddad put a shaky hand on the back of my neck and pulled me closer to him. "Boy...I was...stupid."

"Save your energy, Granddad," I said, doing my best not to cry.

"Shut...up. Listen."

I nodded.

"I began to fear that the...book...wasn't hidden well enough. When I went out there to move it, I realized I was being watched. It was that boy, Bin...Binjin."

"Binjin?" I said in disbelief.

"I had a feeling he was going to report me. After waiting an hour, I replaced the book...with some leftover clippings. The old research. I had to give them something to find or they'd rip the tent apart...searching."

"Where's the book now?" I whispered.

"Buried ten paces...due east...from the back of the tent."

Marta stared at me—her face a mixture of confusion, pain and anger.

Granddad coughed blood into his hand.

Marta was weeping. "I can't! I can't do anything to help him! We need a med-bot."

I knew it wouldn't arrive in time. They med-bots traveled from the Obsidian Tower and were notoriously slow.

"Marta, stop...you did your best. Come around here," begged Granddad.

Marta dropped a wad of bloody gauze and moved to the other side of Granddad. She leaned down close to him. "Pop, no."

"Take care of Annie. Tell her I...I love her. I love you too, very much," said Granddad, his voice weakening. He peered over at me, grasping my hand as tightly as he could. "You too, boy. I'm so proud of all of you."

"Don't go!" begged Marta.

"Be strong. Don't be mad at Danth. I wouldn't let him tell you...I wouldn't...I don—"

He was gone.

A stilt strider returned and lifted my grandfather into its forearms. As the machine carried his body away to be burned, the only solace we had was knowing his spirit would no longer be trapped in his long-suffering body.

I held Marta close to me and we both cried, our clothes soaking with blood. I managed to collect myself and stood up with my sister.

"Go," I told her. "Go back to Annie...to Sams."

Marta nodded as she shuddered. "What about you? What was granddad talking about?"

"I'll tell you by the time IP is over." I clenched my fists. "First, there's something I need to do."