*20

With my mind clouded by anxiety, I nearly lost a finger in the factory's metal press. When the trill sounded, I rushed to find Granddad. He was standing tall when I found him, exhausted but defiant. It was nothing less than a miracle. "I can't believe it," I said, "how did you keep pace with a double quota?"

"I managed, boy," said Granddad, "that's all that matters.

I broke into a cold sweat as we left the factory. Thankfully, the stilt striders remained in place—there was no quota change. I sucked in a huge breath and felt the tightness in my muscles loosening. "Yes! Finally, good news."

"See. I knew it would be fine." Granddad patted me on the back. "Go on, catch up with your friend. I see that idiot up there looking for you." Despite his chipper mood, I noticed Granddad's posture lowering the farther we walked.

"Forget Bin," I said. "I want to go check on Marta and Annie. I've been waiting for that coward Sams to show up here, but somehow he weaseled his way out of a factory quota."

"Don't be stupid," said Granddad, his tone stern. "The H plots are on the other side of the village. The drones will notice if you stray too far from our route." He waved a hand at me. "Stop worrying about Sams. You won't see him for a long time. New Life Partners are given a year to cultivate their new plot before they're assigned additional duties."

"Right, I forgot."

"Now, go to your friend."

Not wanting to add to my grandfather's stress, I nodded and ran up beside Binjin. "Bin!"

Binjin, clearly fighting back his discomfort, feigned a look of concern. "Danth! Hey...I'm so sorry about your sister—Annie too. That was crazy."

I shook my head. "They'll be alright. Sams was just desperate...the bastard. No use worrying," I said, in steep defiance of my actual emotions.

"Your grandfather was moving fast tonight. After getting his quota doubled, I thought he'd get the Rake for sure."

I tensed up. "Really, Bin?"

Binjin laughed. "Sorry. I guess I'm pretty good at hopping around on one leg."

I looked at him with confusion.

"Because I always have my foot in my mouth."

I shook my head and groaned. "It's alright...listen...I have to tell you something."

"What is it?" said Binjin, moving closer.

I was holding in too many secrets and couldn't bear the weight. "Granddad is tough as nails, but he can't keep up this pace for long. One more Rake or extended shift and he probably won't make it."

Binjin pursed his lips. "But what can we do?"

"This place is Hell and we all know it. I need to get Granddad, Marta and Annie out of this damned village. The world has to be bigger than these thousand acres where the Thrall live, work and die...somewhere there's a place the Privus don't control, and I'm going to find it."

"You're insane!" said Binjin, looking around nervously. "Remember your brother? The stilt striders will find you anywhere you try to go."

I immediately regretted saying anything. "Binjin...I'm...I'm just frustrated, that's all. Don't repeat any of this."

"I won't, I swear. Just, ease up on the revolutionary talk."

I nodded, but my resolve to escape hadn't eroded by one grain.