*33

I had never done anything so nerve-wracking. Somehow, I managed to keep Tenslin pointed in the proper direction as we skirted past Daun's village. Leery of prying eyes, we turned toward the prairie as soon as possible and maneuvered through a narrow corridor between the cliffs.

"You're doing great!" said Daun. "Now, to get Tenslin moving a little faster, just say 'Giddup' and whip the reigns gently.

"Giddup!" I said, snapping the straps. Tenslin whinnied and bolted into the tall grass as I held back a scream.

"Okay, maybe with less urgency next time!" Daun called out. "But since she's already up to speed, keep her galloping!"

I had gained a modicum of control over the horse by the time Zone 28 appeared on the horizon. Pride and disappointment enveloped me at the same time. I wanted to keep going—and I didn't want to say goodbye to Daun.

Daun leapt from Tenslin as soon as we stopped, landing on her toes in the grass without a sound. She took Tenslin's reigns as I performed a graceless dismount.

"Wow, you've improved so quickly," said Daun.

I was captivated by her smile. "I wish we had more time," I replied.

"Me too," said Daun. She pressed her hands gently against my chest and leaned closer to me. I dipped my neck and kissed her softly on the lips. The impact was greater than falling off the horse.

"This is crazy," said Daun, blushing, as she stepped backwards.

My heart battered my rib cage. "Was that too much?"

Daun's rosy cheeks lifted with a grin. She shook her head. "The world's been turning so slowly. It's nice to feel some...urgency."

"Good," I said. I put my hands around her hips and pulled her closer again. We shared an intense kiss until she pushed away with a laugh. "Okay, maybe a little too fast."

I nodded and let out a laugh. "Right...okay."

Daun frowned. "We only have three more days to figure out how we're going to escape. If we can't, we'll be forced to wait another month to see each other."

I looked at my watch. "We can't worry about it now," I said with a deep sigh. "Daun, you better get out of here."

Daun hopped back onto Tenslin. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Do you want me to meet you halfway to save time?"

"No!" My heart skipped, remembering the shadowy form I had seen slithering through the grass. I had been so caught up in the ride back to the village, I hadn't given it another thought. "There's something strange on the north side of the prairie—some kind of huge animal. Keep to the south edge on your way back. If you see black fins, ride faster."

Daun swallowed and nodded. "Alright. But I can't let you come back to see me with that...thing out there!"

"I'll be fine. It didn't notice me before, but I was on foot. Tenslin's hooves might land heavy enough to give away your position, so please be careful."

"I'll ride like the wind if I see anything odd. Please, don't come tomorrow night if you sense danger...I'll understand. Promise me."

"I promise," I lied. Nothing was going to keep me away.

"Alright, until next time," said Daun with a smile. "Thanks again for the figurine. I love it so much." She turned Tenslin around without another word and rode back through the grass.

I tried to dismiss my worry by telling myself Daun was a skilled rider—not that I had any frame of reference. She was certainly better than myself.

My head and heart felt heavy as I returned to the tent. Deep down I knew I had been pushing my luck to its absolute limits. How long could it possibly last?