*28

I could barely go a minute without thinking about my next rendezvous with Daun. The moonlight reflecting in her panicked eyes when we first met had become a fixed image in my mind. I wanted to know more about her and wondered if life on a ranch was easier than on a plot. My curiosity threatened to distract me from my larger goal of developing an escape plan for my family. Granddad had been improving, but he was still one bad day away from an untimely death.

Unable to relax, I carved a little figure of Daun out of a pine bow. I woke up a few hours later, having slipped into sleep. I felt refreshed and eager for my next lesson with Granddad.

After stretching my vocabulary skills to their limits, Granddad decided to end the lesson. He seemed pleased by my progress, which was encouraging. It was my chance to ask him some questions about our forgotten history. I was still reluctant to tell him about Daun, but I wondered if he knew anything about Zone 29.

"Granddad, do you know much about the other zones? Are there any near here?"

Granddad put his hand on his chin. "When the elders trek to the wall, they are required to stay on the road. I never came across another village during my time as a scavenger, but that was a long time ago." He paused. "The stilt striders' citadel is in the west, so it's a safe bet there's no encampments there. However, we've both seen smoke plumes rising in the east, which may be an indicator of another nearby village. Sadly, there's no way to tell for certain. Why do you ask?"

"I have a million things I could ask you," I told him. It didn't seem like he knew anything about Zone 29, so I moved on. "Last time you said something about Synastic Rejuvi-something...that the Privus do. What's that?"

"Synaptic Rejuvenation. The Privus have found a way to live forever, but it's not a privilege granted to everyone. Before they see any signs of advanced aging, they transfer their minds to a new body—one grown in a special chamber."

"Grown? Like a plant?"

"Exactly."

My mind boggled. "Whoa. How? Magic?"

"Knowledge is more potent than any magic. The most powerful knowledge is called science. Science is used to create technology—like the great factory. The Privus allow us to know just enough to survive and grow our crops, but their scientific prowess is nearly miraculous."

"They're gods."

"No!" said Granddad. "They're humans, just like us. While their technology is astounding, they rely on it like a crutch and could never survive without it. The synaptic transfer is a complicated and draining process. They enlist Thrall attendants to help them recover, which can take a few weeks."

"The best and brightest of us," I said, shaking my head. "What happens to the attendants once the Privus heal?"

"No one knows, but they're likely killed." Granddad closed his book. "We're out of time. Get some more rest before the light comes."