*39

My head laid in Daun's lap as I panted, trying to catch my breath. I leaned up and hugged her tight. "Are you alright?"

"Me? What about you?" she said, letting out a gasping laugh.

"I'll be fine once my heart stops spinning."

"I felt a vibration in the valley floor when I left your village last night, but I didn't think it could have come from anything like...that," said Daun, looking paler than usual. "Was that some kind of drone?"

"I don't think so," I replied. "The drones are more focused. That thing seemed animalistic—like it was guarding its territory."

"Maybe it keeps people like you from exploring between zones," said Daun. "I hope it's not a drone, or else The Walled City knows you're here."

"We can't worry about it now." I let go of Daun reluctantly then helped her stand up. "Daun, there's something I need to tell you."

Daun kissed me. My heart had no chance of calming as our heads tilted together and our bodies pushed closer.

I forced myself to end the kiss. It wasn't easy. "Please, you need to hear this."

Daun wiped her eyes. "I'm so tired of talking. I just want to...be."

I nodded sympathetically and took Daun's hands in mine. "The Privus made an announcement in our village last night. In less than two days, they're going to begin construction of a new factory. A weapons plant. Here, in Zone 29."

"What?" said Daun, shocked. "No one's said anything to my mom! She would have told me."

"It's worse. Your zone is much smaller than ours. If this new factory they're building is as large as the one at the edge of my village, it could easily fill your entire valley. They said they're going to 'clear the land' to make room for it.

I could feel Daun's hands shaking. "It will be easier to get rid of us if we don't see it coming. That's why they haven't alerted anyone."

"We're running out of time," I said. "Daun, is there anyone in Zone 29 who may be able to help us escape?"

Daun put her head in her hands. "I've been racking my brain—but no—the ranchers in my village are just simple people. They don't hold any secrets or have any connections."

"There has to be someone. Go back now and ask your Mom. I'll wait here for you."

"No, come with me," urged Daun. "Mother won't believe a word I say, but she'll have to listen if you're with me."

"Alright," I said, steeling myself. "What's your mother's name?"

"Lemi," replied Daun, "but you better let me do the talking."