*45

"Here it is." Sheln rose from the chest, unfurling a black and white blanket covered in clashing geometric patterns and lumpy, uneven folds.

"What is that?" asked Daun

"The drones and stilt striders don't see the world like we do. They avoid utilizing full spectrum scanning in order to save power. It's far more efficient to rely on heat signatures and pattern recognition."

I was barely following. "And the blanket?"

"It's a cloak! I designed it to confuse the drones, but I've never been brave enough to actually test the thing. The bulging fabric creases and circle-wave patterns throw off the bastards' sensors. Furthermore, the cloak is lined with shielding I harvested from some of this scientific equipment. The metallic foil blocks the thermal signature of anyone wearing it. This garish thing makes you practically invisible to machines."

"Please! There's no way the stilt striders would ignore such an obnoxious looking coat," said Daun.

"They will, as long as they don't activate their full-spectrum mode," said Sheln.

Daun was skeptical. "How are you supposed to know if they're using that...mode."

Sheln shrugged. "You can't." She draped the cloak over my shoulders and put up the hood. "Danth, use this to get back into your village unseen by the stilstries. Sadly though, this won't sheild you from the prying eyes of other humans."

Daun rushed up to me. "Danth, you can't! This is crazy!"

"I have to," I told her, kissing her on the cheek. I looked at Sheln. "If I get you that data, can you actually use it? We only have a few days before the Privus flatten Zone 29 to build a weapons factory."

"I suspected this was coming," said Sheln with a sigh. "If you get me that datastick, I swear I'll stop them."

"Do you have to kill them?" asked Daun.

"I'm afraid so," said Sheln. "They'll never let your people free. The Thrall are mere chattel to the Privus."

Daun was rattled. "But you turned around, couldn't—"

"We have no choice!" I was getting frustrated. I didn't mean to raise my voice.

Daun shrank away and started to weep. I moved to her. "I'm sorry. Listen, let's just get this part over with, then maybe Sheln can figure out a better way to stop the Privus."

Sheln shrugged. "I can't make any promises, but I'll try."

"Alright," said Daun.

I turned to Sheln. "The data stick is hidden inside a book. If I somehow manage to get through the stilt striders and return to my tent, I'll bring it tomorrow night."

"Good. Say hello to your grandfather for me," said Sheln. She stepped up and shook my hand with a smile.

"I will."