*43

"You're not my mom," said Daun, matter-of-factly.

Sheln laughed and lifted her shirt above her naval. "This scar begs to differ."

"My mom is back at the ran—"

"Just let me get this out real quick, alright?" interrupted Sheln.

Daun tensed up and crossed her arms. "Okay, fine."

"I nearly lost my life sticking up for idiots like this," said Sheln, pointing at me. "The High Lord of the Walled City would have preferred to kill me, but my proficiency in molecular biology and organic chemistry made me an asset." She went quiet for a moment, sensing our confusion. "You know, sciency stuff."

"We're not stupid," said Daun, lowering her brow.

"Anyway, I was quietly banished to the outskirts, where they could keep an electronic eye on me. They didn't know I had become pregnant by my Synaptic Rejuvenation attendant," said Sheln. She leaned closer to Daun. "Your father."

"My father?" Daun looked on the edge of passing out.

"His name was Hathin Gnoss. One afternoon, I nullified his chemical restraints out of sheer boredom. Soon after, I realized the Thrall were more than just snarling animals forced to do our bidding. They had just as much worth and intelligence as the rest of us...something the ruling class wasn't willing to admit. Your father was a great man. I fell in love with him."

"What happened to him?" I asked, butting in.

"I tried to get him out of The Walled City, and...I failed. He died. There's not much more to say. It was my fault. I'm sorry, Daun."

"Don't be," she said, her eyes becoming wet. "I still don't believe you."

"If you don't want to be associated the Privus, I understand, but know this; there's no Privus and no Thrall....just human beings. The Privus are just augmented by technology and genetically modified. We're no better than anyone else."

I suspected Sheln was telling the truth. I desperately wanted to trust her.

Daun wiped away a tear. "Why? Why would you give me up?"

Sheln's shimmering eyes betrayed her cold exterior. "The lords didn't know I was pregnant when they exiled me...if they did, they would have killed us both, no matter how valuable I was to them. After coming here, I noticed the drones left me unsupervised for a few hours each day. I used that time to explore my surroundings, and that's when I discovered Zone 29 and met the couple you came to know as your mother and father. We became fast friends."

"Really? Dad too?"

"Yes. I tried to find a way to help your adoptive father after I heard he had become ill, but the pneumonia took him before I could do anything. I'm sorry."

Daun shook her head. "It's...okay." She was utterly stunned.

"I know your mom loves you very much, but she isn't really your mom—at least not biologically," said Sheln, looking pained. "It doesn't really matter. She raised you and clearly loves you."

"And I love her. You can't take that away," said Daun.

"I never would! I swear to you," said Sheln. "Part of the reason I bonded with Lemi was because she was pregnant too. We spent more time weeping over my situation than I care to admit. I had no idea what I was going to do once you arrived."

"I can't believe mom and dad never told me..." said Daun, trailing off. I put my arm around her.

"Lemi lost the child she was carrying. We were all devastated. In a show of strength I could never hope to replicate, Lemi embraced the tragedy as an opportunity to help me. She's an amazing woman."

"What?" asked Daun.

"Lemi offered to take my child—take you—as her own. I dismissed the idea at first, but soon realized it was the only option. We had to act fast before the drones realized Lemi had lost her own baby."

Daun started to cry. I nearly did as well.

"Daun, I knew I'd have to give birth to you during the short span when the drones were away, and before I became noticeably pregnant. As soon as I was confident you were old enough to survive outside of me, I alerted Lemi and Neshvin. With my guidance, they cut me open and took you out. Afterwards, they patched me up as best they could then spirited you away to their ranch. I feigned an injury that would pass muster should I succumb to too much pain after the drones returned."

"Unbelievable," I said.

"It took all my will power to stay out of your life. I visited you a few times when you were very young, but it started becoming difficult to say goodbye. Choosing to cut all ties with you, as well as Lemi and Neshvin, was the most difficult decision of my life. Afterwards, I hated the Privus more than ever and dedicated the rest of my life to stopping them."

Daun stood up and hurried to her mother. They hugged tight and wept openly. I did my best not to pry on the moment.