Unfinished business

Peter raced toward Stark Tower. "Crap. I'm gonna be late." He burst through the door, running into someone, and sending them both sprawling.

"Watch it Parker." The other intern muttered.

"I'm sorry!" Peter yelled over his shoulder. He slid to a stop outside the elevator. "Fri, where is Mr Stark?"

"He is currently in the main room of the 40th floor." The AI answered. "Would you like me to inform him of your arrival?"

Peter pressed the button for that floor. "No thanks." The elevator lifted.

Peter pushed the door open, tossing his backpack to a chair. "Hey Mr Stark? I'm so sorry I lost track of time-" his voice died in his throat seeing the billionaire wasn't alone.

Sitting around the room on the various couches were the last people Peter had expected to see. Clint Barton, Natasha Romanoff, Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, and Sam Wilson.

He glanced at Tony. "What's going on?"

Tony gestured at the others. "I though it was time for you to meet them."

Peter grabbed a drink, aware of the eyes watching his movements. He returned to the main room, sitting down on one of the empty couches. "This is kinda awkward..." he rubbed his hands together. "Hi everyone. I'm Peter."

Natasha glanced at Tony. "I wasn't aware that you had a kid, Stark."

"He's my personal intern."

Steve leaned back. "His voice sounds familiar."

Peter shrugged. "Yeah. I met you a couple years ago. Sort of."

Steve frowned. "I don't remember you."

Peter glanced sideways at Tony. "It was kinda hectic. You two,"he pointed at Steve and Tony, "were fighting at the time. I met you very briefly, and I had a mask on. You know. Queens."

"Oh. Ohhhh." Steve glared at Tony. "He's a kid? I dropped a freight container on him!"

"Which I caught," Peter broke in hurriedly. "And I'm not a kid. I'm seventeen."

Steve sighed. Before he could say anything else, Bucky sat forward. "You're saying this is the spiderkid?"

Peter rolled his eyes. "No. It's spiderman, thank you very much."

"You blocked my punch!"

Peter shrugged. "Super strength. Comes with the job."

Natasha laughed softly. "So this is him."

Sam Wilson huffed. "I haven't forgiven him for webbing me to the floor."

Peter shrugged. "Sorry. What was I supposed to do? You guys were trying to kill me."

Bucky chuckled. "Not trying to kill you. Just knock you out."

Tony held out his hand. "Hold up. Before we get any further into this argument, is anyone up for a movie? I'd prefer my furniture doesn't get broken when you guys get mad."

Everyone agreed, Sam casting one last dark look at Peter. They eventually agreed on watching Signs. Peter curled up on the couch beside Tony, while the others made themselves comfortable on the couches. About halfway through the movie, Peter fell asleep. It was almost over when he started shaking, and mumbling. "Help...someone...she's hurt..."

Tony shook Peter. "Hey. Peter? Wake up."

Screams. Roaring flames. Smoke. Can't breathe. Help them. "You did this to us!" Peter groped blindly through the darkness. "Who are you?" His frantic question was answered by a ghostly cackle. "You caused this. The death. The pain!" May appeared in front of him, her face horribly disfigured. Blood running down her face, her eyes empty and staring. "You did this Peter. It's all your fault."

The teenager continued to thrash around, his cries getting louder, and more frantic. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry! I didnt! I'm so sorry! Please...stop..."

Tony shook Peter. "Wake up! It's a dream! Wake up Peter!"

Natasha dropped to her knees beside them, grabbing his hands and crooning in russian. "просыпайся. это был сон. мы здесь с тобой.(Wake up. It was a dream. We are here with you.) (A/N. I used google translate, so sorry if it isn't correct.)

Peter shot up, startling everyone near him, and shoved himself backwards, away from the group. "Get away from me!" He yelled. "You're dead!" His back hit the wall. His breath was uneven, shaking, and his voice was ragged. "No...please... I can't take this... please... Help me..."

Tony crouched in front of him, holding out his hands. "Peter. Look at me. Its okay. You're here. Stark tower. Okay? I'm here." He took Peter's arms in his hands, forcing the teenager to look at him. "Peter. Calm down. Breathe. In... and out... in... and out."

His breathing slowed, and his eyes focused on Tony. "D-dad?"

Tony pulled the boy into his arms, hugging him tightly. "It's okay. It wasn't real. You're right here."

Peter shook his head. "It was- it was so real. I-I was there. May was dead... They're all dead..."

"No. You're not there. You're right here, Stark tower. You're okay."

Peter let out a shaky breath. "It was so real."

Natasha squeezed his shoulder. "We know."

Tony helped Peter stand up, leading him back to the couch. Peter leaned his head on Tony's shoulder as they started a new movie. This time he managed to stay awake. Every few minutes he would look at Tony, as if reassuring himself that he was safe.

Each time Tony caught him looking, he would squeeze his hand. "It's okay, Pete. Everything's okay." Everyone else slowly dropped off to sleep. Peter and Tony watched to the end.

"You're sure it wasn't real?" Peter whispered.

Tony looked down at his kid. "Yeah. I'm sure." Peter dropped his head down on Tony's shoulder. "Thanks...dad."

Tony smiled into Peter's hair. "You know you're safe with me, right kid?"

Peter nodded tiredly. "M-hm." Tony listened to Peter's breathing evening out, until the teenager was asleep.