Whump prompt #12

It happened in an instant.

But that is always the case, is it not?

It shouldn't be, for him.

He can sense danger before it happens.

But this?

He couldn't have known.

--------------

He has a split second of awareness, of realization before the car is rolling, and he's being thrown around like a rag doll, and there's so much noise, and the metal is crumpling and no no no hurts please no more hurts gonna die gonna die don't wanna die don't wanna go-

-------------

He's lying on his back when he comes to, and he can't feel his legs, and his arm shouldn't point that way, and he might be coughing up blood, if the red on the  grass under him is any indication, but he's gotta help, gotta get Happy out of there gotta help him gotta make sure he's okay-

--------------

There's yelling, and bright lights, and loud noises, and beeping, and someone telling him that under no circumstances is he allowed to die or so help me kid.

That sounds familiar.

----------------

He wakes up slowly, or rather, becomes aware.

He can't move, and his brain is clouded, hazy feeling.

There's someone crying, muffled sobs, and hot tears on his hand which is held in a trembling grip.

"Tony, please tell me our boy is okay-" a woman sobs. "Please. Tell me my baby is going to be okay."

May?

Another familiar voice then, sounding tired, and sad. "I can't promise that. You know I want to."

May sobs brokenly. "Please. Pretend. For me."

Then he must fall asleep again, because when he comes to again, May is gone.

A different hand is holding his. Its calloused, and warm, and strong, and Peter knows exactly who it is.

"Hey Pete. We're pretty worried here. Happy insisted on staying here. He was fine, just got a concussion. He won't leave his chair outside the door. It's kinda endearing, honestly. I made May get some rest. She hadn't slept at all. It's been- we've been here for four days. I'm a little more used to staying up for days at a time, so I figured I'd give her a little break.

His voice shook, and he paused for a minute. "We're worried sick about you bud. I'm worried sick. I need my kid back. So please, if you can hear me, please wake up."

And Peter tries. He tries so hard, but he's so tired, and it hurts, and he wants to see them, but he can't.

And he fades back out of consciousness.

------------

Peter didn't realize he was actually awake until he registered a tickling feeling under his nose.

He lifted his hand sluggishly to his face, tugging with clumsy fingers at the thin tube.

Someone stopped him, a gentle hand taking his, and pressing it back to the bed.

"Leave it there, bud. You need it." Tony's voice was tired, as if it wasn't the first time he'd said those words.

Peter blinked at him, watching as the billionaire met his eyes, expression changing from exhaustion into hope, and quickly sat up, his hand coming to rest on the side of Peter's face. "Peter? Can you hear me?"

Peter took a moment to respond, blinking heavily, before nodding.

Tony's collected exterior facade seemed to crumble then, and he dropped his head into his hands, a long sigh escaping.

"M'ss'r S'ark?" Peter mumbled.

Tony's head shot up, and he moved to the edge of his seat. "Yeah, hey. Don't try to talk."

Peter ignored him, and talked anyway.

Or tried.

"May?"

Tony ran his hand through his hair. "She's asleep. We've been taking it in shifts."

Peter frowned worriedly. "Shou'd s'eep too."

It was still hard to make his mouth form words.

Tony brushed Peter's hair off his forehead. "I'm fine, Spiderling. I can go for days without sleep."

Peter shook his head. "S'not healthy."

Tony's lips twitched. "Probably not. And I expect you not to follow in my footsteps."

Peter smiled sleepily. "You're awes'me though."

Tony squeezed his hand. "I expect you'll be awesom-er."

Peter shook his head, almost completely asleep. "No one 's."

Tony blinked quickly. "Only you, Pete."

He looked around the room, then bent and pressed a soft kiss to the teenager's head. "Love you Pete."

"Love you too." The boy murmurs, clearly not asleep yet.

Tony shook his head fondly. "Pretending to be asleep so I would show my vulnerable side, hm?"

Peter shook his head, not opening his eyes. "Mmm."

Tony started to stand up, planning on getting May, but Peter's hand latches onto his sleeve, the grip surprisingly strong for how badly he was hurt.

"Mm. No. Stay."

Tony hesitated, unsure whether May would kill him for not getting her, and Peter solved the problem.

He pulled his hand closer, making Tony move towards him. "Stay."

Tony sat on the edge of the bed, one hand automatically stroking Peter's hair. "I was just going to get your aunt. She would kill me if I didn't wake her up."

Peter tried to pull Tony closer. "Stay."

"You want cuddles?" Tony guessed.

He smiled softly when Peter nodded, sitting down on the bed, his back resting against the wall, and let Peter lean his head on Tony's chest, eyes focusing on the warm glow of the arc reactor.

"Try to go to sleep." Tony said quietly.

Peter nodded, eyes drooping closed. "Thanks dad."

Tony looked down at the sleeping face of the teenager. "No problem kiddo."