■ SIX ■

■ SIX ■

"Did you complete your tasks today?" Natalie asked.

I looked up and sat back on my knees as I wiped my hands against my maid uniform. "Yeah, I'm done, I'm just finishing up this floor before dinner" I replied, glancing down at the suds and water across the floor.

I had been here for an entire week and I had only just managed to settle into my duties, but I definitely didn't enjoy them. Natalie smiled at me as I continued srubbing. "The King has requested your presence tonight" she said as she got on her frail old knees.

I frowned as she picked up another scrubbing brush and scrubbed the floor alongside me. Letting a small shiver pass down my spine, I sighed.

"Do you have any idea what he wants?" I asked, glancing at her.

Natalie frowned. "The King is very private, he only says what people need to know" she replied.

I sat back on my knees again. "Is there a way I can earn my way back home?" I asked, asking the question that had been in my head for a long time.

Natalie shrugged. "I wouldn't know, maybe you can ask the King when you see him" she said.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, Natalie and I finished the floor before all the maids returned to start their dinner duties. "I would get cleaned up beforehand" Natalie said, laughing at our grubby appearance.

I smiled slightly. She was like the mother I never had. We were both stuck in this awful place but somehow I knew everything would be okay because she was here.
Growing up, my mother was often with the pixies and drinking herself sick. I fended for myself my whole life, getting a job as early as I could to try and support us with food and rent. It wasn't until I realised that my mother was buying from her dealer, rather than paying the rent.. the landlord kicked us out and I put mum in front of a hospital and left.

Natalie's smile started to fade as she saw my eyes prickle with tears. "You'll be okay darling" she said, a pitiful look on her face.

I hated pity. "I know" I replied, shaking off the stupid feelings of self hatred and regret.

"Go get cleaned up and we'll see you after" she said, touching my shoulder lovingly.

The King was never one who liked to be kept waiting, although our contact had been very minimum over the past week and for that I was grateful. I really didn't want to look into his silver eyes, or bow my head for him.

I quickly bathed and changed into a fresh maid uniform, tying my hair into a braid. I emerged from the bathroom and smiled at some of the maids who wished me luck.

Trotting down the hall, I saw a tall statuesque man standing in front of a door. "I'm here in request of the King?" I asked, nearing.

"Name?" The doorman barked.

I flinched slightly at his volume. He never looked at me, just straight ahead. "Celene" I replied, courageously.

He moved his hand and gripped the door knob, opening the door. It opened into a lavish dining area with candles and a magnificent feast sitting upon what seemed like a fully gold table. My eyes widened.

"Nice of you to join us" a cold voice said.

I could recognise it immediately and I hated how I tensed up straight away. Slowly turning my head, I saw the King standing by a wide window with a glass of something red in his head. I would've bet my right arm that was not red wine.

He appeared to be watching outside as a shaft of moonlight seemed to ignite his already pale skin, making it shimmer almost. Suddenly, the King turned his head to look at me, his hood kept his face hidden, exposing only that small bit of pale skin by his neck.