Chapter 25

The last thing Lester Jenkins remembered was falling asleep in bed while watching T.V. He was jarred awake by a muffled shriek and jostling on the bed. Lester sat up. As soon as he did, someone cut the lamp on. That same someone was pointing a pistol at him.

"Hey, Lester, long time no see," he said.

The voice sounded familiar, but he couldn't see the man clearly without his glasses. Lester squinted.

"Go ahead Les, grab your glasses," he said.

Lester quickly grabbed his glasses and put them on. He looked up at the intruder. Les still didn't know who it was.

"Come on, Les. It's me, Paul," he bragged and stepped into the room.

"Paul Ernstein," Les spat out. "What the hell are you doing in my house in the middle of the night you little weasel?"

"Be nice," Paul warned. "My friend over there doesn't like it when people insult me." He gestured the gun towards the far side of the room.

Lester turned to see his poor wife with her mouth covered by the most terrifying man he had ever seen in his seventy-seven years. He was pale as a ghost. No eyebrows, no hair, and big blue eyes.

"What's the meaning of this?" Lester asked with irritation.

"Let me tell him, Paul," a voice said from the doorway. Lester turned and looked dead in the face of Marty Schaffer, but he wasn't the old Marty. This Marty was built and had a mustache. He smirked at Lester. He propped his arm up on the doorway, twirling a knife in his hand.

Lester's face felt ashen. David and Danielle's murderer wasn't some random madman passing through town. It was them.

"I see your wheels turning, Lester. And yes, that was us," Marty confirmed smugly.

Lester knew he was too old and fat to take these guys on. This was the first time in a long time he wished that he was that twenty-one year old that could talk a good fight and fight a good fight. But, he knew the good Lord wasn't going to answer that prayer. God had punched his ticket. "Let my wife go. Your quarrel is with me."

"Don't worry, Lester," Marty said and put his arm down. "You and your wife are not going to get the same treatment as David and Danielle."

"Yeah, we have something more dignified for you," Paul stated.

Marty looked over at Lester's wife. "You remember me, don't you, Mrs. Jenkins?"

She nodded against the goon's hold.

"Good. Do you remember I got busted in Phoenix for possession and intent to distribute?"

She nodded again.

"Good. Since my parents turned their backs on me when I needed them the most, I had to scramble for a lawyer who could help me make bail. Not represent me in court during a trial. Just a simple bail hearing. I had to settle for a court appointed attorney from the public defender's office. I ended up with the worst attorney they had. He couldn't get Mickey Mouse out on bail if he got arrested for jaywalking. Do you know how that happened, Mrs. Jenkins?" Marty asked.

She shook her head.

Damn it, how did he find out? Lester frowned and looked at his wife, who was still being held captive by the pale beast.

Marty shook his head. The sound of Marty's tongue hitting the root of his mouth escaped through his nose. "Keeping secrets from your wife Lester is a big no, no. You see Mrs. Jenkins, the reason I had such a shitty lawyer for my bail hearing is because Lester called a friend of his in the public defender's office to make sure I got a shitty attorney for my bail hearing."

His wife's eyebrows scrunched, making large creases on the skin between them. She stared at her husband like she'd never seen him before in her life.

Lester looked down in shame. He had never told his wife any details about what he had to do for his clients during the past fifty years. He took an oath, an oath that he would keep till he hit the grave.

"Now, you two get dressed," Marty said. "We're all going for a ride."