Chapter 43

Everything went into slow motion. The sound of Jackie screaming Jodi's name bounced off the walls of the office. Bonnie's screams were like she was in a wind tunnel.

Matt flung his body over Jodi's. His chest and stomach protected her head and chest. The sound of glass shattering and bullets firing startled the three men that held them captive.

"Ahhh!" Paul shouted.

"Shit!" Marty yelled. He must have been so surprised that he let Jackie go because Jodi heard Jackie next to the couch.

"Jodi!" Jackie screamed.

"I'm okay," Jodi answered as she was pressing against Matt's chest. "Matt, get up."

"He can't," Jackie sobbed. "He's been shot."

Stings of fear shot through her body. "No. Matt. Matt," Jodi cried as she squeezed her head from under him so she could see what was going on.

Jacobs had his gun on Ghost who was using Bonnie as a shield. Williamson pointed his gun at Marty who was pointing his weapon back at Williamson. The back door to Matt's office was wide open. The glass window in the door was broken. Paul laid on the floor with a bullet in his eye and chest.

"Damn it, Williamson, my quarrel isn't with you. I don't want to hurt you!" Marty yelled.

Williamson remained silent.

"Williamson, do you know why I did all of this? Do you know what that son of a bitch and those Garvey whores and – God, everybody did to me?"

"Yeah, the sheriff told me everything – tonight. You got a raw deal, Marty, but I can't stand by and watch you kill three women," Williamson said with passion.

"We can work this out," Marty pleaded. "I don't want to hurt you."

"And I don't want to hurt you. You've been through enough pain. Now, put the gun down."

Matt let out a soft groan. Jodi laid her hand on the back of his head and kept watching Williamson and Marty.

"You heard him. Put the gun down!" a male voice demanded

Everyone looked over to see Deputy Carter in the doorway. He could barely stand. He had one hand pressed against his stomach. His other hand held a gun, pointed right at Marty. Two drops of blood fell from Carter's lower lip. His eye was swollen.

Marty's nose turned up at Carter. "And what are you going to do if I don't you little piss ant? How old are you? Fourteen? Shut up and let the real men talk." Marty growled and turned his attention back to Williamson. "Williamson, I know you don't like what I've done. But, I'm still a cop and I can't hurt one of our own. I could have killed you tonight instead of hitting you on the back of the neck when that bomb went off."

Williamson's eyes widened at the admission. "I got knocked out by the blast."

"No, you fell down, but you weren't out. I clocked you before we entered the house."

Matt started moving. He slid off Jodi and crumpled into the floor. Jodi got off the sofa and knelt down next to him. Jackie went to his other side. They watched Williamson and Marty like everyone else was.

Williamson's mouth twisted. "That explains why my neck is so sore."

"That's right. I'm still one of you and I couldn't kill you. Deep down, you know that."

Williamson lowered his gun. "Deep down . . . I know you full of shit. Take him, Carter!"

Carter fired his gun. The bullet hit Marty in the chest. Carter shot again. Another round went into Marty's chest, making him fall backwards against the wall. His body slid down into a sitting position. Marty's mouth gaped open and his eyes were wide as quarters.

Carter quickly limped over to Marty. "Not bad for a piss ant, huh?" he asked rhetorically. He finished Marty off by firing a shot into his forehead.

The ladies shrieked.

"Goddamn, Carter," Matt mumbled.

"It's over Ghost, let her go!" Jacobs ordered as he kept pointing the gun at him.

Ghost slowly started pressing the tip of the knife into Bonnie's neck.

"Damn it! Marty said you weren't a monster!" Jackie yelled. "If you didn't attack that lady prove it, now. If you're not a sicko, who gets off on hurting women, prove it, now! Let Bonnie go!"

Ghost's skin where his eyebrows should be went up. His eyes turned soft. It looked like he loosened his grip from around Bonnie's waist. The knife's tip stopped digging into her skin.

"She's right. If you're a gentleman, you won't hurt her," Jodi reiterated.
Ghost slowly released Bonnie who ran into Jacobs's arms.

Williamson immediately ordered Ghost to drop the knife and to turn around. Ghost complied.

Matt groaned as he turned on his back.

Carter limped over to Jodi, Jackie, and Matt.

Sweat had formed around Matt's hairline. He swallowed hard. "You look like shit, deputy."

"I bet, but I still think I'm doing better than you, sir. If you don't mind me saying," Carter said.

Matt started to chuckle, but it quickly turned into violent coughing. Carter got on his radio while Williamson handcuffed Ghost. Bonnie and Jacobs were still holding onto each other, but they were watching Matt.

"Officer down. I repeat, officer down at the station. Send an ambulance ASAP!" Carter said into his radio.

Matt and Jodi looked into each other's eyes as Carter called for help. Jodi took his hand. She didn't want to cry, but she couldn't help it. All she could do is let the tears fall as she watched the man she loved and the father of her child groan and wince in pain. Blood was seeping onto the carpet. It looked like the bullet pierced the side of his lower back.

Matt's eyes glanced down her body and up to her face. "Are . . . you . . . okay?" he struggled to ask.

Jodi nodded.

Matt groaned. A smile spread across his lips. "Good," he moaned out. His eyes fluttered closed.

"No. Matt. Wake up," Jodi pleaded.

Jackie grabbed his other hand and started patting the back of it. "Come on, Matt stay with us."

"We need to get pressure on that wound," Williamson stated.

"I need that ambulance, now. The sheriff's been shot. I repeat, the sheriff is down and he's unconscious," Carter said frantically into the radio.

"Damn it, Matt," Jodi said and placed a hand on the side of his face. "Don't you die. I wouldn't be able to take it! Open your eyes, Matt!"