Chapter 37

Matt was coming up on Bonnie's house. Williamson was walking down the steps of Bonnie's porch. He was eating a sandwich and had two sodas stuffed under his arm. It looked like he was carrying an open Ziploc bag of chips.

Williamson spotted the sheriff's car and dropped everything he was holding. Matt stifled a laugh. What the hell, Williamson deserved to be fucked with a little before he dropped the bomb about Marty. Jacobs was right, Williamson's mouth was full.

Matt parked the car and cut the engine. He slowly got out of the vehicle, giving himself time to get the smirk off his face and convey the seriousness he wanted to portray.

"Evening, Deputy Williamson," Matt said as he put on his Stratton.

Williamson didn't move. He practically stood at attention. "Sir, what are you doing here?"

Matt got closer to him. Was that lipstick on his lips? He wanted to laugh. "I know you said you had everything under control, but I wanted to see for myself." Matt looked down at the contents on the ground. "Did you have a good time in there, deputy?"

"Yes, I mean, no, sir," Williamson stammered.

"Really? That's not what the lipstick on your lips is telling me."

Williamson's fingers flew up to his mouth. He lightly wiped them and looked at his fingers. "Well, you see, sir, I was leaving and I was offered . . . a sandwich."

"What kind?"

"Sir?"

"What kind of sandwich did you eat while you were in there?"

"Uh oh, chicken salad."

"Was it homemade?"

"Yes, sir," Williamson said with shame.

"Thank you. Continue your story."

"Not really a story, sir. I had a sandwich, you radioed me, I finished the sandwich, and I was heading out. Ms. Tarbox and Ms. Garvey insisted I take some food for the road. I did and before I left, Ms. Tarbox expressed her gratitude with a light kiss, sir.

Matt wanted to burst out laughing. Lipstick was all over his lips. It was still on Williamson's lips. Matt slowly pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket. "It looked like it wasn't that light, deputy. It's still on you." Matt couldn't hold back anymore. He started laughing and handed Williamson his handkerchief.

Williamson snatched the cloth and started wiping his mouth. He was embarrassed.

"I was just busting your balls, Williamson. I'm not that much of tight ass. Pick up your stuff and let's go inside."

"Inside? You're going inside?" he said as he blocked Matt's path.

He saw the worried expression on Williamson's face. Matt didn't like it. "Yes, inside. Is there some reason I shouldn't go in?"

"No. There's just no need to. They're fine. I was going to patrol the surrounding area and come back to check the perimeter here and -"

"You're babbling, Williamson. I've worked with you for a while now and I have never known you to babble." Matt was really interested in what he was hiding, now.

"Okay, sir. If you insist on going inside, I should tell you something before you do. I don't want you to be shocked or overly shocked when you go in."

"What is it?"

"Well, do you remember when I told you the other day that Jodi looked sick?"

Matt's eyes zeroed in on him. "Yes."