Chapter 38

Matt definitely went from heaven to hell as he stepped out on the porch and saw Williamson staring at him. His eyes were like steel. Matt took a deep breath and descended the steps.

They stood in the sand, man to man – eye to eye. "All right, Williamson. What I am about to tell you, well, let's just say if you don't keep the information to yourself a whole lot of people will get hurt – including me."

"People have already been hurt because of whatever it is you and those folks in there are hiding."

"It's not that simple, Williamson."

"I want, no, I deserve to know what the hell is going on," he said sternly. "I've been loyal to you ever since you became sheriff. I have put my life in your hands during the past few weeks without question. Hell, when I caught you and Jodi together, I didn't tell the guys – I didn't dare tell anyone because I knew it would hurt your chances of getting re-elected. I've earned the right for you to be straight with me."

Matt knew he was right. Williamson had the right to know what he's been really putting his life on the line for and why. "It's a long story. I want you to know everything. Let's sit in the car."

They went to the cruiser. Matt told Williamson everything from Marty's coke problem and blackmailing to the plot to take Marty down to keep everyone's secrets hidden. Matt laid down in detail how they set Marty up and how everyone did their part, including him. He told Williamson about Gerald and Bobby Jacobs's assistance and how Lester had made sure Marty got crappy representation. Matt also admitted that in return for his help and staying silent about certain things, all parties involved had helped him get elected as sheriff.

Williamson looked like Matt punched him in the gut.

He had no idea what Williamson was going to do with the information he gave him. "It's not like we framed Marty, we just made his drug habit more obvious."

Williamson blew out and propped his elbow on the edge of the window. He put his hand on his head. "I know that, but . . ." He trailed off.

"But, what?"

"Sending him to prison? I get it, he was a prick, but damn. As soon as you found out that he did coke, you could have gone to the town council or the mayor. One of the two would have forced him to resign. They had the power to do that."

"Yeah, and Marty would have increased the amount of hush money because he would have been out of a job."

"He wasn't blackmailing the Garvey twins. They don't hide what they're doing out there and it's not illegal as long as they're not promoting prostitution. Why did they get in the middle of this?"

"What you said is true, but Marty could have made their lives a living hell. Can you imagine what would have happened to their business if Marty staged a raid every weekend? They wouldn't have had any customers left."

"Oh my god," Williamson groaned. "This secret society of yours ruined Marty's career and his life. Yes, I hated him just as much as you, but this? No wonder he's gone mad."

"You think he's justified in trying to kill all of us?"

"Of course, not. I'm just saying that – hell, I don't know what I'm saying. I don't know what to think. Everyone knows Jesse sells moonshine. He's practically grandfathered in as an untouchable."

"Marty could and would have changed that for Jesse if he didn't keep getting his payment every month. And what about Joe? He was desperate for money because of the economy. He didn't want to lose the business his parents left him. I didn't approve of what he was doing, but I understood and he didn't cause any unnecessary problems. The same with David and Danielle. They did what they had to do, but it wasn't illegal, just immoral. If the church board found out -"

"I know, and Dalton wouldn't have been able to hold his head up either. Did he know what . . . they were doing for extra money?"

"I don't know. But, if he didn't know before he'll find out soon enough. Dalton has to clean out their house eventually," Matt stated.

"Okay, let's talk about you. You were always a popular guy around here. The ladies love you and men respect the hell out of you. What made you think that you needed all these people's endorsements and support to become sheriff?"

He didn't know what to say. Matt felt ashamed, but he had been honest this whole way. May as well finish the path. "Williamson, it wasn't a guarantee I would win without help. I was just a deputy like you and at that time Marty wasn't trying to get us a raise. I didn't have the money to run a strong campaign. They were able to help with that and talk me up."

Williamson squeezed his eyes shut. "Did they pay you to run?"

"What! No!" Matt exclaimed with shock. How the hell could he ask him that?

He opened his eyes, but kept looking straight ahead.

"I never took, accepted, or was offered money to help them or to run for sheriff. I told you what happened. The DA approached me asking indirect questions about my future and needling me for information. I got suspicious of his interest and I got him to spill the beans about what Marty was doing to people and about his drug abuse. It had to stop!"

Williamson kept looking straight ahead.

"Look at me, Curt," he said. It was rare when Matt called Williamson by his first name, but he had to get him to see reason. "If you've lost respect for me, I get it. I understand. You feel that you need to expose me – so be it. But, don't involve the others, they don't deserve it. The crash crippled this town. They were desperate and did what they thought was right to survive whether you agree with it or not. So, what's your decision? Are you going to keep what I told you to yourself or are you -"

"This is Lawrence. Deputy Lawrence calling for the sheriff. Come in, Sheriff," Lawrence said over the radio waves.

"Shit," Matt hissed and picked up the receiver. "This is the sheriff, go ahead."

"Sheriff, we need you at the DA's house ASAP."

"Why?"

"I did my perimeter check. I found a note on the back door of the house. It was addressed to you, over."

"What did it say?"

"It says to be at Jacobs's house by seven. Wait for a call. If you're not there, well, you know what happened to Jacobs's car, over," Lawrence said.

"Fuck, Fuck, Fuck! Damn you, Marty!" Matt shouted.

Williamson looked at his watch. "That's in fifteen minutes."

Matt got back on the radio. "I'll be there in ten, over and out." He slammed the receiver down. "Williamson, I want you to stay here. Check the perimeter, guard the house, and put out an all-points bulletin on Marty Schaffer."

Whatever Williamson was feeling moments ago it was gone, now. He was in cop mood. "Yes, sir," he said and got out of the cruiser.