02

Zoha / Rehaab
Slowly the crowd had faded only a bunch of guests were remaining. They were still laughing and making noises in the middle of the common room.

Zunaira's elder sister, Mehmil's marriage was the first marriage of their family. Zunaira was the closest to Zoha, she was a year younger than Zoha but they did get along well.

Zoha was fifteen when both her parents had died in the accident since then she had been living with her Taya (Uncle) in this house, she only had a brother who was 3-years-older than her and had finally settled in London, Zoha had done intermediate and after taking two gap years she was finally going to get enrolled in the university and was going to live with her brother.

She was sitting quietly at one corner when she heard some rustle in the garden, she peeked out from the glass partition. She saw a shadow behind the curtains, the dim glow in the common room and the fading hustle made her focus on it, she immediately got up from her chair. Her chair fell on the other side. Everyone looked at her.

"Are you okay beta?" her aunt asked. She nodded, but her eyes were still focused in the garden. Everyone started talking again.

She slowly made her way out of the room, into the garden. She turned around the left pillar and from the mosaic stairs she slowly put her left foot on the grass, the guard was sitting at the front door with his face turned outward.

She came round the corner as she found a person hopping off the back wall, she ran. But it was too late the man had already gone out.

She went towards the guard.
"What are you doing? Just right now I saw a thief jumping off the back wall.. Tayi (Aunt) asked you to put thorns there too, didn't she?" she said casually.

"What, a thief!?!" his voice trembled.

"I'll check right away, wait here ma'am please" he rushed out.

She went towards the place he was looking inside the house from. Nothing was there.

"Ma'am.. There-there is no-one outside. Maybe he ran away" he was panting. She turned around to look at him.

"You should have called me in the first place, it's so dangerous, you should have called me" He said while still panting

"Ahan, at first I thought I misunderstood, but when I saw him I immediately called you"

"Oh. Ma'am don't worry I'll be more careful from now on but please don't tell this to anyone don't tell this to sir please I've small children I've a big family to support too please..." he pleaded.

"It's okay, it's okay I understand I won't tell this to anyone..." she smiled patting on his shoulder. The old man smiled hesitatingly.

She came back inside with her expressions perplexed. She directly went to her room.

"Where were you?" Zuni barged into her room.

"In the garden, was taking some fresh air, you know, I need a few moments alone of my own" she smiled opening her laptop.

"Oh yeah, were you remembering Chacha and Chachi?" She gave a faded smile.

"Not really, I remember them every single time so it doesn't matter, a particular minute or second.."

"I'm sorry, how many years has it been already?" she asked.