Chapter 14

To celebrate my new computer's arrival I've posted another chapter of Stargazer for you all! Now I'm off to play Skyrim!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myra

Just watching this made me think about how much our races thrive on fighting. Although I too was shouting at my parents to kick some lizard ass, afterword I couldn't help but wonder why we all craved the fight so much.

Couldn't we just solve our problems by talking?

Why was violence so common among all the races?

My parents always talked about how humans used war to solve almost all their differences. No matter who came out on top, another war was always inevitable.

Could the same be said for us? I mean, we went to war with Agora, killed him, and now we're at war with Exodious.

Would killing her really stop all wars?

Our influence and power doesn't stop people from believing they can kill a God. And after watching Rose die once, I knew that it was completely possible.

Eventually war would start up again. Truth be told, even as beings with powers that rival gods, we were no different than the humans we made fun of.

War was inevitable for all races who possessed sentience.

Rose put a hand on my shoulder as we were all making our way from the arena. Everyone had walked out ahead of us, even my Shades. My thoughtfulness made me slow enough to end up the last one out.

Except for Rose who smiled at me. I turned to look at her as she had stopped me just before the door.

"You think too much." She told me.

"Well... with you gone someone had to." I confessed, though I regretted it as a heartless thing to say.

"You're very right. Someone had to." Rose smiled softly. "But none of my children would be smart enough to resist their anger and actually think of further consequences other than the need for revenge." Rose said as she walked past me, her arms behind her back like she was in thought.

"Aviri was always studying tactics. She probably knows war will keep coming." I told her.

"She knows, but that doesn't mean she thinks about it the same way you do."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Aviri doesn't care for war. She knows we can't escape it. She knows the real reason for war. It's a clash between good and evil. One side cannot rule forever. Eventually the other side will gain enough strength to tip the balance, and that always results in killing." Rose said sadly.

"But certain humans were able to do it without killing!" I said hopefully.

"And they were often killed by those who wanted their voices silenced." She sighed. "Sometimes words work better than actions, but most commonly, actions can speak louder than words."

"Why we turn to violence I don't know." I sighed and shook my head.

"Because Vampires need blood, Shades need souls, Werewolves need to hunt, Dragon's need to rule, and Humans need power." Rose said.

Hearing it said that way made everything so clear. We didn't always fight because we wanted to... we fought because we had to.

I could only sigh deeply at that answer. It meant that fighting was inevitable. There was nothing we could do but hide or join the bloodshed to protect those we care about.