Chapter 17

I left the dining room with Alexis. Emma was off hanging out with Mari for the day. Camelia and Akiya left ahead of us to go wash their faces.

I went out into the back yard and let out a long sigh. It felt so good to not have to worry about being Queen anymore. Rose was going to handle everything that didn't involve her actually being seen, while I would make public appearances so no one would be able to spread the fact that Rose was back.

Alexis knelt beside the river and smiled down at the water. I was tempted to knock her in, but the second I thought about it she glared at me over her shoulder, and I couldn't help but laugh at her.

"You're such an ass sometimes." Alexis rolled her eyes as she looked back towards the water. I smiled and knelt beside her.

"Well of course I am. I have to be entertaining some how." I answered as I nudged her with my shoulder lightly, getting her to smile up at me.

"So Myra." Alexis said as she lowered her hands into the water. "You happy to see Rose?"

"Of course... aren't you?" I questioned. Her head snapped back up and she looked guilty.

"O-O-Of course! That's not what I meant!" Alexis sighed then looked back at the water. "My mouth works without using my brain." She shook her head slightly. "Sorry."

"I do it too you know. That's why I have two Shades." I smiled, getting her to smile back up at me. However her smile flipped and she looked down towards the water once again.

"I just... I know you missed Rose a lot more than me, and I wondered... how it felt to get someone you really, really cared about to come back..." Alexis explained.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "I don't know if I should tell you that. I don't want you to hurt anymore than you already do."

When I first met Alexis, she was a thrall to a Daybreaker. Which Daybreaker, I never found out, and I found that she likes to avoid what the Daybreakers did specifically to her all together. However what she did clearly explain was that the Daybreakers used her sister to force her to work with them before they made her a thrall. She found out too late that the sister she thought was being used as bait, was actually already part of the Daybreaker's body count. As a Shade she could talk to her sister in her dreams, which Alexis said that she often does. However we both knew it wasn't the same as having her actually with us.

"It's alright. I was just curious." She sighed. "You don't have to tell me."

"I don't want you to hurt anymore Alexis. I wish I could just take the pain away from you. I know I'll never really understand how it feels to lose someone that close to me, but I'll still be here for you." I explained. She once again smiled up at me, and this time held my gaze.

I smiled back at her, and gently brushed the hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear. "I'll always be here for you." I told her.

"I know you will." She smiled back. "Because you're the best in the whole world."

"There are a billion different worlds you know." I smiled.

"Yeah. But you're the best in my world." She leaned forward, and our faces were so close. Our eyes closing preparing for the moment I had been waiting for, for so long.

But just before our lips connected, Emma made a gagging sound behind us and Alexis and I both groaned in annoyance.

"Seriously Emma!?" I growled as I looked over at her. She was standing leaned to her right with her hands on her hips. She just smirked slightly and rolled her eyes at us. Mari was standing beside her with a smile of her own.