Chapter 29

Myra

On the road again. We made good time following Highway 15 then switching to Highway 70 to get there faster, stopping for gas whenever the needle fell bellow half empty.

I couldn't disagree with the fact that Akiya was a good driver for someone who hasn't been to the human world in over a thousand years. She was pretty much speeding, but she was slow enough she could release the gas and still be in the limit if she saw a cop.

Camelia had laid herself out in the back seat bored to death. On our last convenience store stop I got her a rubber ball which she bounced off the roof of the car constantly.

The sound doesn't bother me, but seeing as we're going to be on the road for a day or so more, as long as Akiya keeps her lead foot on the petal, she deserves to be entertained.

But Akiya had warned me that tonight was supposed to be a full moon, so she had the idea that we pulled over for the night.

The sun was setting, and she pulled over to a rest stop and parked the car. As we got out she locked it and we made our way to the picnic tables and picked one farthest away from the others, so we could escape into the fields if we needed too.

Even though it was still turning dusk, I could still feel the wolf growl and itch under my skin. Emma had completely turned her back on my vampire half to help Alexis with my rowdy wolf.

I groaned, putting my head against the picnic table.

"You alright Myra?" Camelia asked.

"My wolf is causing so many problems." I answered.

"Which is why I didn't want you in the car." Akiya said. "We're in the middle of no where so if we have to steal another car, then the person we steal it from is screwed." She explained.

"I know, and I'm not complaining that we should keep moving. It's probably end up worse than this anyway." I sighed.

"I hope nothing goes wrong." Camelia said.

"Werewolves are a pain in this world." Akiya said. "Not sure how your mother dealt with it."

"She had Veronica." I answered. "Veronica would chain her up in her basement so she couldn't hurt anyone."

"We left our werewolf lasso back in vegas." Akiya narrowed her eyes.

"It was a suggestion!" I barked, standing up to glare at her, but she only stood up, tense as if she was ready to attack me.

That was all I needed to see to know that a werewolf had attacked her last time she was here.

But I couldn't even force myself to sit back down. My body, didn't want to be my body. It wanted to shed this pathetic human skin and hunt.

"Emma, Alexis... stay here. Find me in the morning." I growled.

Are you nuts? We're not leaving you alone in the human world. What if you find another werewolf!? Emma asked.

"I'm not just a werewolf." I answered.

"You don't have to do this Myra." Akiya said.

"Yeah, we can keep an eye on you." Camelia answered.

"I don't want to risk it." I answered. I could feel my wolf under my skin, threatening to break free. My nails dug into the table, already turning into black claws.

Even with two shades who were masters at holding back the animalistic sides of me, they were only stalling this thing inside me.

"You're not risking anything." Akiya said as she reached over to put a hand on my shoulder but I smacked her away and stepped back, grabbing hold of my right hand with my left.