Chapter 18

I tightened my wrist strap to its perfect fit then smiled at my reflection in one of the shields in front of me. I was wearing plate armor, the same as any other dragon. I found that I preferred this over the light armor that most of my family wore.

I left the armory and stepped out onto the arena floor. Akiya was already standing there, and as she saw me, she bashed her sword against her shield letting sparks fly.

Nokiya was sitting between Mari and Jurgen as they watched her sister. The way they were laughing with each other told me they were expecting their sister to fail miserably.

Kira and Alison were behind me and they waved when I stepped out. Kira said something and Alison punched her in the arm with enough force to knock her off the bench they were sitting on. However Kira just stood up and laughed.

"Ready Fluffy?" Akiya called.

"'Fluffy?'" I narrowed my eyes.

"You're a werewolf, and therefore you have fur, which makes you Fluffy." Akiya answered with a grin.

"I'm going to kill you." I growled.

"I'd like to see you try." Akiya answered. Once again the look in her eyes left me confused and I couldn't put the nail on the head with what it meant.

However when she attacked, the pieces started to fall into place. She lunged forwards, and for the first time, my reactions couldn't grasp that she had until the last second where I leaped back, hearing a metal scraping sound as I did so.

When my feet hit the ground, there was a clean cut through my chest plate.

"Non fatal!" Kira yelled. "It was just the armor!"

What the hell was that? I asked my Shades.

You haven't figured it out? Emma asked.

She runs on raw instinct in combat. But in a controlled way. She has literal control over her primal instincts. Because she moves with her instincts and reaction time, you can't sense her attacks. Vampires rely on this ability, but in this fight it won't help you. Alexis explained.

That explained the look in her eyes.

Wild and untamed.

She charged again, and the same thing happened. Only this time I managed to avoid being hit, but her eyes were constantly locked in my own, as if she could sense my movements through my eyes.

What the hell is she doing? I asked my Shades once again.

It's a Dragon thing. Alexis said. Dragons do that when they're hunting, so the fact that Akiya runs on instinct means she'll do it the whole time.

It looks like she's staring into our soul. Emma said. I could feel her mentally shiver.

Its supposed to make you nervous. Alexis said.

Its working. I growled. Emma! Get me a weapon!

Emma instantly responded with two. My forearms and hands turned into blades that she willed to extend an extra foot into the ground which I used to hoist myself up and kick her in the chest.

Akiya stumbled back, an angry glare on her face while her eyes still met with my soul. The blades returned to normal length and I smiled. "Aww, did da big bawd dwagon get huwt?" I said in a baby voice.

I regretted taunting the big bad dragon instantly.

Smoke puffed from her nose and I swear her irises turned yellow for a second. She lunged forwards again and I leaped over her head, planting both my feet on her head.