Chapter 20

We followed Ariadne for a few minutes till we came up to a small cave. Ariadne led us into the dark cave but as soon as the light from the cave's mouth left us, the cave lit up with glowing blue crystals.

My mouth hung opened in awe until Camelia rolled her eyes and closed it for me. I smiled guiltily with a slight blush at her, and she only returned the smile before we descended even deeper.

The cave went down into the earth, and soon the rocky cave became dirt, and the crystals became torches. We followed till we came up on a wooden door placed into the wall. Nokiya opened it, but was only met with dirt on the other side.

She turned and glared at Ariadne. "This isn't funny." She growled.

"This isn't a trap either. You just didn't say the magic words." Ariadne laughed.

"Please?" I offered.

"Close. But no." Ariadne smiled brightly. Her expression and her eyes, made it seem like she was incapable of evil. She seemed so happy that all thoughts of her betraying us left my mind.

"Anoichtó!" Ariadne said, as she opened her palm at the door. Ancient symbols raced up her arm before covering her body. The symbols glowed neon green, and her irises glowed to match before they all dimmed.

"That was Greek." Nokiya said as she opened the door again, this time it opened into a chamber of a house to which the windows seemed to see into the outside in real time, with birds flying around.

"I'm glad you remembered." Ariadne said as she walked into the room. The house was made of wood as if a small cabin in the woods. The furniture looked hand crafted, and yet elegant in its design. The first room we entered was a living room, with couches made of wood and leaves, covered by what looked like a bear pelt to make it soft. A large stone fireplace took up most of the wall across from the couches. Book shelves stood on each side of a doorway into another room.

"Make yourselves at home." She said. "Do you want something to drink?" She started to walk for the next room which I assumed was the kitchen, however Nokiya grabbed her arm.

"No! Explain yourself!" Nokiya barked, the girl looked at her in fear for a moment, as she did know who and what Nokiya was. However she hardened herself and went to pry Nokiya's arm off her.

"I will get to that when I know my guests are comfortable." Ariadne growled back.

Nokiya's grip was iron and she did not let go. Instead she pulled the smaller girl closer and growled.

"You'd think you'd be willing to respect your own grave." Ariadne retorted.

Nokiya's eyes softened and she released the Nymph who rubbed the arm which Nokiya might have crushed. "You died in this house."

"How did I die?" Nokiya asked. "Someone would have had to kill me."

"Someone did." Ariadne answered. She walked over to the fireplace and grabbed a jar off the top of it before walking over and setting it on the coffee table.

The jar was made of stone, but was covered in symbols from Dragon Tongue. I read Nokiya's name on it several times. Nokiya blinked and I thought she was about to go into a panic. However she swallowed it back and looked at Ariadne.

"Why do you have my ashes?" Nokiya asked.

Ariadne's eyes broke and she looked down at the ashes sadly. She looked like she wanted to say something, and she tried to several times, but the words never left her mouth. I wished we could read minds like the vampires could, but we sadly couldn't.

She sighed deeply then took a ring off her finger and handed it to Nokiya who looked at it in confusion for a few seconds before her eyes lit up in realization.