Chapter 26: I Look To You

"About to lose my breath, there's no more fighting left.

Sinking to rise no more, searching for that open door.

And every road that I've taken led to my regret.

And I don't know if I'm going to make it, nothing to do but lift my head

I look to you, I look to you.

And when all my strength is gone, in you I can be strong

I look to you, I look to you.

And when melodies are gone, in you I hear a song.

I look to you."

________________________________________________

*3 weeks later*

Kaleehalani 🥂

"Lani!" I jumped at the sound of the front door slamming which was Dave coming home from a show he had to do out of town

"I'm sorry baby I forget every time." He said as I nodded, staring into the living room wall, and wiping some stray tears from the sides of my eye as he kissed my cheek rubbing my shoulders as I immediately became tense.

"I know you still adjusting and all but I really want you to start talking to me. It might help or if you could start going back to therapy." I snapped my neck quickly into his direction.

"So you're calling me crazy like everybody else huh?" I said lowly fidgeting with my fingers.

"Nobody's calling you fucking crazy for the last time Lani damn!" He slammed his hand down onto the glass table causing me to jump and immediately place my hands over my ears.

Jail was the worst thing that could have happened to me. It messed me up not only physically, but mentally as well.

The kids couldn't even drop a toy on the floor without my anxiety acting up and my heart racing vigorously. I prayed forever that I would escape that hell hole that I was placed under and I had so many questions as to how Sariya's dad could have even been assigned my case to begin with.

During those weeks, he made it his business to come to the jail every single day and beat me until I was vomiting nothing but blood. During those weeks, I was both food and water deprived besides what the female officer would bring me.

It wasn't even the beatings that bothering me after a while, it was the simple fact that a female police officer, a black woman at that, could allow a man to place his hands on me while she sat and watched it the entire time and didn't report it not once.