-Ally

Rose

The clock strikes 12 noon and my parents sit together across from me again, this time in the dining room.

I stare into space and try to ignore Caleb's constant presence next to me.

Everyone sits awkwardly quiet as we wait for our meal to be served.

I didn't want to eat with them. After me refusing to eat all morning, my father had his men drag me down here into this seat. They're standing around the room just in case I bolt.

The maid comes out with our food and gently lays the plates of roast beef, veggies, Mac and cheese, and our drinks down on the dark brown wooden table. Looking around, the white walls seem to close in on us and the black wooden floor feels as if its falling from under my feet.

I feel shivers travel up my arms and goosebumps appear in their path.

I hate this place. My mind keeps wanting to pull me back in the past, back where nothing but darkness lives. Even the good times my family used to have are tainted by the actions of my father.

My eyes meet his and he sighs, avoiding my glare and leaning onto my mother's shoulder. She blushes and grabs his hand from on top of the table, bringing it between them.

I almost groan.

He used to beat her black and blue. I look away from them to control the flood of hatred that if acted on, might get me killed.

"Caleb told me to spare that boy's life. He said you told him as long as I do that, you'll cooperate." My father narrows his eyes at me and lifts his head.

I nod.

"He means that much to you? You've always been the selfish type, so for you to sacrifice this much for someone else... I can't say I'm impressed. I didn't raise you to throw away your life for some boy." He scolds.

"Don't try to act like you know who I am. I'm not that little girl who ran away from you anymore. You can say I grew up. And you know what's funny, you sound as if you want me to rebel and protest this marriage." I smirk.

I glance over to Caleb and see both his fist closed tight, his body tense as he avoids eye contact, looking down into his lap.

I scoff.

"I don't want you to lose that power you live by. The strength I gave you to be able to try and strangle your own father." He runs his neck, chuckling.

"You didn't give me shit. Only pain." I clench my teeth and take a deep breath.

"Pain that built you into the strong woman you are today." His soft attitude from yesterday appears. The one I don't recognize.

I look at him with confusion. Why is he acting like this?

It's like he's holding back.

"Let's just eat. Ok, honey. The foods getting cold." My mother remarks, grabbing my father's arm.

My anger increasingly grows.

"Aren't you mad?" I ask my mother, tightly holding my fork.

"About what...?" She mutters, avoiding eye contact.

"How he treated you? Did you forget? Or have you just completely lost all your self respect?!"

"Enough!" My father slams his fist on the table and I almost roll my eyes.

My mother visibly shakes.

"Why? Because I'm bringing up the reason we left in the first place? You used to toss us around like toys. Even now we're just dolls you're using."