BC: Wedding

Rose

My heart races as I sit across from Ryder.

"Are you sure we're not rushing this?"

"Why would we wait any longer?"

"It's only been a week and a half."

"Do you not want to?"

"I didn't say that."

"You didn't say you did either."

I sigh, and reach across our bed to grab his hand.

"I already said yes when I agreed to marry you."

Ryder pouts and turns my hand in his to hold it back.

"You're pregnant and the next year of our lives is going to be hectic, everything's already been arranged." He squeezes my hand.

It's not like I'm opposed to it, I want to but I want it to be thought out. Something we'll never forget.

"You just want to throw something together and expect me to love it. Ryder, it feels like you're just trying to get it over with." I never talk like this, I hate being pregnant.

"You're right." He says.

My mind blanks and I try to slip my hand out of his, but he holds on.

"I can't wait for you to be mine. I know we're already together, but this feels so fragile to me. I want marriage so I can finally call you my wife. That word comes close to the way I see you in my life, who you are to me." He leans in.

Sunlight shines through me and I look to my side. He always knows what to say.

If you look at it that way...yeah I'm ready to cuff him.

"Once we say I do, you can't get away from me. You're stuck with me forever, Ryder."

"That sounds like a dream, Rose. I can't wait." He lays down and pulls me gently down with him.

"You really wanna get married by the end of this week, though?" I ask, getting settled within his arms.

"Is that cool with you?" He asks, looking a little cautious.

I put my cheek against his chest and smile.

"It's perfect."

---

"Christine, please not so tight, I'm 2 months pregnant, remember?" I wince at Ryder's mother as she tightens my dress.

"Today's the big day, Rose, suck it up." She says, loosening the ties.

"Yeah sure." I chuckle.

"That should be great then. Aw, darling, you're beautiful." She takes a couple steps back as I turn to face her.

My hair still has to be done but looking in the mirror, it's not too bad.

I take a deep breath and let out an even bigger sigh.

"What if this isn't enough? What if everything's a disaster? What do I do?"

"Honey, c'mere."

I walk into her arms. She's become a mother to me over the short time I've met her, and given me the motherly warmth I never had.

"I don't care if he leaves me after he realizes he doesn't want to spend the rest of this life with me." I lie. I'm used to people leaving me. Who says he won't too?

"Oh Rose, you know Ryder. He loves you and you love him. I've never seen my little boy care so much about someone. You're starting a family together. Trust him." She holds me tight and I nod.