Chapter 3: Don Juan Triumphant Returns to the Stage

Erik and Christine needed money so they went out and found parts in productions at a local opera house. Over time, they were offered permanent jobs and Christine became the lead soprano. Erik became the Primo Uomo in almost every opera. The opera manager allowed him to wear his mask in each role he played. It was wonderful.
Erik and Christine lived at the opera house until they saved enough money to buy a real house. When they finally saved enough, they bought a house that was by the sea, and very similar to the house that Christine lived in with her father when she was a young girl. Christine was very happy with her new life, but in all truth, she would have been happy with anything as long as Erik was by her side.
A month after they bought their house by the sea, Erik had a talk with Mr. Becket, the manager of the opera house, and he agreed to put on Erik's opera, Don Juan Triumphant. It was a momentous occasion for Erik. He got to play Don Juan and Christine was, of course, the leading lady.
Erik's opera was performed and it was a great success.

"Marvelous work, my Angel!" Erik complimented Christine, when the performance was finished.

"If I was marvelous, then you were flawless," Christine replied. "It was so exciting to perform the entire opera. You wrote it beautifully, my love."

"Yes. It went much better than last time when you forcefully tore off my mask," Erik joked.

"Can I say, once again, say how sorry I am for doing that to you?" Christine said.

"No need, my love," Erik replied.

The couple went home and shared a night of passion. When Christine awoke the next morning, Erik was not there. She got out of bed and went downstairs, thinking that maybe he was making breakfast, but he wasn't. Erik was gone. "Where could he be?" She wondered. It was not like him to leave without telling Christine or leaving a note. The wife was concerned. "I hope nothing bad has happened to him," she thought. Christine wasn't feeling at all well and decided to go back to bed. She prayed that Erik would be there when she woke up.
Nothing bad happened to Erik. In fact, he only went out that morning to go to a flower shop in town. He bought two dozen red roses and went home to his Angel of Music. Upon returning home, Erik found that his wife was not anywhere on the first floor. "Is she still asleep at this hour?" He thought. "That is not like her." He went upstairs, removed his mask, and awoke Christine gently with a kiss.

The woman's eyes fluttered open. "Angel, you're here!" She exclaimed as she jumped into his arms.

"Where else would I be?" Erik asked.

"I feared that you left me for good," Christine explained. "I thought maybe I did something to upset you."

"I would never leave you, my Angel. Now, tell me, why is it that you are still in bed?"

"I was feeling sick, but I'm feeling much better now that you are here. Come, let's go get something to eat."

Erik made breakfast and after he and Christine ate, they decided to take a walk around town. They were having a lovely time, but returned home shortly, as Christine claimed that she was feeling sick again.
Erik was concerned. Christine was a very healthy person. He was afraid that maybe something was seriously wrong with his wife. He prayed that wasn't the case.