Chapter 65: Catherine's Wedding

In the months to follow, the life of the Destler family was alive with wedding preparations. Catherine was very often stressed, but it was nothing that couldn't be fixed by a few reassuring words from Pierre.
   After what seemed like an eternity, the big day was finally here. Catherine was going to get married.
   Catherine had Clara as her maid of honor, Aphrodite and Bella for bridesmaids, and Athena as a little flower girl. Pierre had Gustave as the best man and Apollo and Demetrius as groomsmen.
   That day, Christine was an emotional mess. Her eldest daughter was getting married.

   "Was I really that young when we were married?" Christine asked Erik.

   "Yes, you were. I'll never forget how beautiful you looked that day," Erik reminisced. "You look even more beautiful now."

   "Erik, you're too kind. Oh, look. The ceremony is about to begin. Make haste!" Christine urged.

   With that, Erik hurried off to walk his daughter down the aisle
   All in attendance of the wedding, whether they were in the wedding or observing, had tears in their eyes as Catherine entered the room, her father on her left, Gustave on her right. She herself could barely see through the tears in her eyes. "This is it," she thought.

   "Know that no matter what, I'll always love you," Erik whispered. "You'll always be my little girl."

   "Papa, please. I'll cry," Catherine whispered back with a quiet laugh.

   "And remember, if Pierre ever mistreats you in any way, I will gladly beat him up for you," Gustave whispered.

   Pierre watched as his goddess of a bride floated down the aisle. The light around her shone brightly and wrapped tightly around her frame, making her appear to be glowing.
   The opera house was decorated in blush and silver, complimenting the bride's beauty.
   Gustave stepped to Pierre's side, taking his place as best man.
   Catherine took her place, handing her bouquet to Clara and taking Pierre's hands in hers.
   The justice began his speech, and then asked for the vows.
   Both Erik and Christine were sobbing ask their daughter declared her love for the man in front of her.
   Pierre and Catherine exchanged rings and engaged in a passionate kiss. The two were officially married.
   Over the next few days, Pierre moved his things into Catherine's room in the catacombs.

   "I just realized something," Catherine said, a week after the wedding.

   "Do tell, my love," Pierre urged.

   "It was exactly six months ago today that you proposed to me. We should celebrate," Catherine suggested.

   "I know exactly how to celebrate," Pierre said, engaging his wife in a passionate kiss.

   The next morning, the couple awoke with a start. Someone was knocking on their bedroom door.

   "Who is it?" Catherine asked.

   "It's Aphrodite. I wanted to let you know that breakfast is ready."

   "Okay. We'll be out in just a minute," Pierre replied.

   The couple hastily got dressed and joined the others for breakfast.

   "And just what were the two of you doing?" Gustave asked with suspicion as the newlyweds entered the room.

   "Sleeping," Catherine replied calmly.

   "Don't think I'm not aware of your shenanigans," Gustave said with a wry smile.

   "Oh, shut up. Like you've never-"

   "Okay, we get it," Erik interrupted. "Some things are better left to the imagination. I, for one, would like to continue believing that you were, in fact, sleeping."

   "Sorry, Papa," Catherine replied with a slight laugh.

   "What else would they be doing?" Apollo wondered. The answer to that question he would not know for years to come.

   After the meal, Catherine made an odd request. "I think Pierre should change his last name to Destler. I think Pierre Destler sounds much better than Catherine Lecomte, does it not?"

   The party agreed. "And so it shall be done," Pierre replied. "I will have it taken care of this afternoon."

   Catherine knew what a strange request this was. It meant a lot to her that Pierre was so willing to go along with it.
   This decision made Erik happy, for now he did not have to get used to calling her Catherine Lecomte. He no longer felt as if he was losing his daughter.
   Later that day, Pierre and Catherine went for a trip to the docks. You see, their friend, Clara, was moving to New York City.

   "Dearest Clara, must you move so far away?" Catherine asked with tears in her eyes.

   "I feel as though I must," Clara replied. "I don't feel as if there is any place for me here. I hope that we can still be friends."

   "Of course. I wouldn't let a silly little ocean come between us. I'll write every day. Promise me that you'll do the same."

   "Of course I will. Take care of her, Pierre."

   "I will. I promise," Pierre replied.

   Pierre and Catherine embraced their friend one last time.

   "Until we meet again," Clara said as she boarded her ship.