Chapter 23: Back to the Catacombs

Erik took the first offer he got for the house and packed up the rest of the family's belongings. It was official. The Destler family was moving to Paris.
   When Erik ran away with Christine almost fourteen years ago, he never thought he would be moving back to Paris, let alone into the catacombs underneath the opera house.
   Erik was throughly exhausted by the time he returned from the trip to London.

   "Angel, you're home!" Christine exclaimed. She kissed her husband.

   "Oh, Christine. I'm exhausted. I didn't get any sleep the entire time I was in London," Erik replied.

   "I'm sorry, dear. Now is probably not the right time, but I have to talk to you about something," Christine said. She called Gustave into the room. "We're going to tell him," she whispered into his ear.

   "Father, I...I uh..." Gustave stuttered.

   "Oh, for heaven's sake, Gustave! Erik, your son has a girlfriend," Christine blurted.

  "Yes, I know," Erik replied.

   "I don't mean girlfriend as in a friend who is a girl. I mean girlfriend as in the kind you date," Christine clarified.

   "Wait. What?" Erik exclaimed. "Gustave, you have a girlfriend? Who? I want a name. Give me a name."

   "Celeste LeBlanc."

   "Are you in love with Celeste?"

   "Yes," Gustave stated confidently.

   Erik stared at his son. He had grown up so much in the last few years. He was almost fourteen now, had grown significantly, and his voice was deeper. He no longer sounded like the child he once was. How could he have grown up so fast?

   "My son, do you have any idea what your teenage romance could cause? We Destlers, well, we fall in love and then opera houses burn down!" Erik exclaimed trying to keep a straight face.

   Gustave laughed. "Well, then you might want to keep a wet blanket on hand, just to be safe."

   Erik laughed. He was glad his son shared his sense of humor. Erik's thoughts turned to his wife. She looked beautiful. Had her bump gotten bigger since he last saw her? It was entirely possible, but he thought it best not to ask, as she was very sensitive on the matter.

   "Father, could I invited Celeste to join us for dinner? You don't know her that well and I would like for you get to know her. She has a lovely personality," Gustave mentioned.

   "I haven't any objection. Christine? What do you say?" Erik asked.

   "I haven't any objection either. You may invite her, Gustave," Christine replied.

   Gustave couldn't wait to ask her. It would be like a date of sorts. There was only one problem in his way: Lucas. How could he manage to invited Celeste without inviting Lucas? There seemed no way of getting around it. He had to invite both siblings. The problem is, he was now forced to tell Lucas about his relationship with Celeste. It wasn't something that Gustave was looking forward to. For some reason unknown to Gustave, Lucas didn't like him and Celeste together. "There's only one way to find one: I have to confront Lucas," Gustave thought.