Chapter 34: Yes or No?

It had been a week since Gustave proposed to Celeste. He had spent most of it hidden away in his room.

   Catherine gently knocked on the door and asked, "Gustave, can I come in?"

   "Fine," Gustave sighed.

   Catherine entered the room. "What's wrong, Gustave?" She asked upon seeing her brother's tear-stained face.

   "Celeste rejected my marriage proposal. She's leaving for London with Henri today," Gustave replied. "How could she do this to me? After all we've been through?" Gustave broke into sobs again.

   Catherine tried her hardest to comfort her dejected brother. "She wasn't good enough for you," she said. "Besides, you need somebody who's more mature. Someone who's grounded, not flighty like Celeste."

   Gustave embraced his sister. "How is it that I'm fourteen years older, yet you're the smart one?"

   Catherine shrugged. "Let's go find a way to cheer you up."

   The entire family spent the day out on the town. Catherine was tired, so Gustave offered to take her back home. When the siblings arrived at the opera house, they saw a few familiar faces.
   Celeste and Henri were there saying goodbye to Lucas, who was not at all happy that his sister rejected Gustave's proposal. It's not very hard to tell that Lucas had a loathing for Henri.
   Upon seeing Gustave, Celeste ran over to him. "You didn't let me explain why I'm leaving with Henri," she said.

   "I don't want to hear it," Gustave replied coldly.

   It was then that Henri noticed the twisted flesh around Catherine's right ear. "Celeste, this boy has a freak for a sister," he said.

   That was the last straw. Gustave walked up to Henri and punched him right in the face.

   "How dare you call my sister a freak!" Gustave exclaimed.

   Gustave grabbed his sister tightly and stomped his foot twice. The trapdoor beneath them opened and the siblings fell through, leaving the others in astonishment.
   To Gustave's amazement, his sister did not seem the least bit upset that Henri had called her a freak.

   "Are you okay?" Gustave asked as his sister softly hummed the melody to Down Once More.

   "I'm okay. Why do you ask?" She replied.

   "Because Henri called you a freak back there."

   "Yes, but you were there. You protected me, Gustave. Just like you promised."

   "I just hope that you know that you are not a freak. You're beautiful, okay? Remember that."

   "And you remember that there are plenty of girls who would be so fortunate to have you as a husband."

   The two finished the journey to the main room in silence. Both were deep in thought.

   "Do you hear that often?" Gustave asked when the siblings entered the main room.

   "Do I hear what often?" Catherine questioned.

   "Do people often call you a freak?"

   "At least once a day."

   "I'm sorry. I hadn't any idea."

   "Well, maybe, if you were actually here for me, I'd tell you," Catherine muttered.

   "What did you say?"

   "I said it's fine and that I've gotten used to hearing it," she lied.

   "I'm truly sorry. That's something that no person should ever have to go through," Gustave replied, putting his hand on the side of her face.

   "It's okay."

   "No, it's not," Gustave stated firmly and then added, "And I promise that I will be here for you more often from now on. I mean it this time."

   "Thanks, Gustave."