Chapter 68: Old Friends

"Gustave, I just got word from my sister. She, Lucas, and Christy are moving back to Paris!" Bella exclaimed.

You see, Lucas and Monique married just three months after they were engaged. It was a very small ceremony. Gustave was, of course, the best man, and Bella was the maid of honor.
Shortly after the wedding, Lucas, Monique, and Christy moved temporarily to London. Lucas had been hired to run the opera house there while the manager, Mr. Becket, was recovering from an injury. Even after Mr. Becket recovered, he still needed some help running the London Opera House. Long story short, they lived in London for a little over three years, and now they were finally moving back home.

"When do they arrive?" Gustave asked.

"The day after tomorrow," Bella replied. "You know, Darling, they haven't met Athena."

"Why, you're right. They haven't," Gustave remembered. "Goodness, it's been about three years since I've seen Lucas."

"It's been three years since I've seen my sister," Bella remarked.

Gustave suggested that they have them over for dinner, once they arrived in Paris. Bella thought that this was a wonderful idea and immediately went to discuss it with Christine.
Later that day, Demetrius went to spend time with Mia. The two would often just sit and read a book together. Even though this was Mia's favorite pastime, she often urged Demetrius to sing or dance or do something of that sort. Demetrius would do what she asked begrudgingly, but soon found himself to enjoy those things. Today was one of those days where Mia made Demetrius sing. The boy claimed that he was not very good, but he was in fact a very talented singer, as was Mia. The pair spent many hours together.
Two days later, the Destler family was preparing for the dinner that night, during which they would be hosting Lucas and his wife and niece.
Gustave went up into the opera house to greet his old friend.

"Lucas, my brother! How good it is to see you!" Gustave exclaimed, embracing his friend.

"Gustave Destler!" Came the other man's voice.

"How was London?" Gustave asked.

"It was wonderful, but we all missed you terribly. How is your family?" Lucas inquired.

"It's grown. We now have a little girl named Athena. Oh, and Catherine got married, and she is now pregnant," Gustave reported.

"Little Cath is pregnant? How joyous that must be for your family!"

"Once we got past the initial shock, yes, we were all very happy to hear the news."

"When will we get to see Catherine and meet her husband and your daughter?"

"Our family would like to invite you to join us for dinner tonight. What do you say?"

"We'd love to."

And just like that, the dinner plans were made. Gustave and Lucas talking incessantly for the next few hours and helped the family unpack.
Lucas told of how Christy was looking forward to seeing Apollo, Aphrodite, and Demetrius again. Gustave assured him that they were equally as excited to see her.
Hours later, Lucas guided his wife and niece through the catacombs. He was surprised that he still remembered how.

"When are they going to be here?" Aphrodite asked her mother, tugging at her skirt.

"Soon," Erik replied.

"How soon?" His daughter interrogated.

Hearing the family row down the lake, Erik said, "Wait. I think, my dear, we have a guest." Turning to the family he greeted, "Monsieur, Madame, Mademoiselle, I bid you welcome!"

"Erik, my father," Lucas greeted, "How have you been?"

"Very well. And yourselves?" Erik inquired.

"The same. London was splendid, but we missed all of you," Lucas replied. "Now, I hear that we missed a few momentous occasions for the Destlers."

Catherine entered the room. Her bump was fully visible now. "Lucas," she said.

"Catherine. Really, you look wonderful. Tell me, who is your great husband?" Lucas asked.

"Pierre, come," Catherine called.

"You married Pierre Lecomte?" Monique asked.

"That, I did."

Just then, Pierre entered the main room. "Lucas, Monique, Christy! It's so wonderful to see you!"

Apollo, Aphrodite, and Demetrius also came into the room and greeted the family. They immediately dragged Christy to some place unbeknownst to the rest of the group.
As for the adults, they spent hours on end talking and filling each other in on details.
The two LeBlancs got to meet Athena for the first time. Lucas and Monique were thrilled, however Athena couldn't really care less.
Gustave declared that he was hungry and both families sat down to dinner.
That night, both families had a joyous time. They had missed each other's company dearly.