Chapter 60: New Baby

Months later, Bella was in labor. She was almost ready to give birth to the newest addition to the Destler family.

   "Gustave, it's time. We need to go to the apartment. Now!"  Bella exclaimed.

   And so, the family was off. They were off to that lonely apartment that was only used for births. Gustave had the realization that every Destler child was born there except for him. That was a strange thought. Bella cried out in pain and Gustave's attention was suddenly drawn to her.

   "God, please tell me we're almost there," Bella cried.

   "We're almost there," Gustave replied.

   "This is hardly the time for jokes, Gustave."

   "No, Bella, we are really almost there."

   The rest of the family had to ride in a separate carriage because they didn't want Demetrius or the twins to hear Bella screaming. The only other person in the carriage with Gustave and Bella was Catherine. The only reason why she was there was because Gustave claimed that he couldn't "do it" alone. Whatever that meant. Still, she loved her brother so she went alone with him.
   After the doctor arrived at the apartment, Bella was immediately instructed to begin pushing.
   It took about two hours, but Bella finally gave birth to Demetrius's little sibling.

   "It's a girl!" The doctor announced, placing the child on Bella's chest.

   "Run and get Erik and Christine," Bella commanded Gustave.

   Gustave did as his wife told him and got his parents. "It's a girl," he reported once they entered the room.

   "I am never having children," Catherine announced to the room. The poor girl had been there through the entire birth. She had seen everything.

   The group laughed.

   "Oh, Bella! She's perfect!" Christine exclaimed.

   "Thank you," Gustave and Bella replied in unison. They both giggled.

   "Have you thought of a name?" Erik asked.

   "Athena," Bella answered. "Athena is the Greek goddess of wisdom and courage and inspiration."

   "That's beautiful," Christine complimented. "Should we let the children in?"

   Apollo, Aphrodite, and Demetrius were let into the room. Demetrius wasn't at all pleased to be parted with his book, but upon seeing his newborn sister, his thoughts of the book were immediately purged.

   "Demetrius, come meet you sister," Bella invited.

   "What's her name?" Demetrius asked quietly as he neared his mother and the small child.

   "Athena," Gustave answered. "It's the Greek goddess for-"

   "Wisdom, courage, and inspiration," Demetrius cut off. "I know."

   Erik and Christine took their children out of the room and left Gustave, Bella, and Demetrius alone.

   "I feel so old," Erik remarked.

   "Me too. How is it possible that we are grandparents?" Christine asked.

   "I haven't the faintest idea," Erik replied.