Chapter 97: The Small Accident

Demetrius's relationship with his parents was a bit complicated. Sure, he loved his parents, however they were quick to blame him for things Athena did. He was not very fond of this matter.
One time, the twelve-year-old girl attempted to bake a cake and nearly burned down the apartment building. How she managed to cast the blame on him, Demetrius would never know. Perhaps it was better that way.
One day, though, Athena caused much trouble. She had spilled her water in the kitchen and did not bother to clean it. Poor, unsuspecting Gustave had left his reading glasses in the room. He went back to retrieve them when he slipped in the liquid and toppled over. Unfortunately, he fell on his wrist, and later that day, had to go to the doctor to have it set.
When Gustave returned home, Demetrius was sent to his room and told not to come out until further notice.

"How does she manage to pin these things on me?" Demetrius asked his wall.

Suddenly, a woman's face appeared in his window. He gave a cry of surprise and fell backwards off his bed.

"Open the window!" The girl yelled.

Demetrius opened the window and pulled the girl through. "Mia, how did you manage this? We live on the fourth floor."

"I climbed up the side of the building," Mia said as if it were completely normal.

Demetrius laughed. "Why didn't you just come in through the front door?"

"Shh. Keep it down. The walls are thin here," she said in a whispered tone. "I tried to, but you're parents said that you caused some accident and you were being punished. I knew immediately that Athena was behind this."

"The little brat spilled her water, didn't clean it up, and then Father slipped. He hurt his wrist pretty badly."

"Ouch."

"So, what brings you here?"

"I've come to help you prove you're innocent so that we can still go out on our date tonight."

"How do we do that? I haven't any proof," Demetrius reported. Mia asked how he knew his sister was guilty of this crime and he replied that Athena had told him so.

"Then we'll have her plead guilty," Mia decided.

"I know that she won't. It wasn't an accident, you know. She did it on purpose. She said that she was hoping that I'd be the one to slip and fall. Father just happened to get there first."

"But, why would Athena want to purposely hurt you? She's your little sister. She loves you."

"She's jealous of you and I. She says that I'm always around you and she never gets to spend time with me. Athena was hoping that I wouldn't be able to go out with you tonight," Demetrius explained.

"That's really messed up. I mean, I understand why she thought it was a good idea, but she could have seriously hurt somebody. Can't you talk to her?" Mia asked.

"I've tried, but she won't listen."

"Do you think that she would listen to me?"

"Possibly, but if she knew that you were here, she would just tell my parents."
Mia gave a dismissive wave of her hand. "Forget about Gustave and Bella. Just get the brat in here and I'll set her straight."

Demetrius sighed. "Fine." He called Athena into the room. She came and asked her brother what he wanted.

"I would like to have a little talk with you," Mia replied, shutting the door.

"You shouldn't be here," Athena replied with a knowing smirk.

"No, I'll do the talking. Okay? Good. Look, you little brat, I know you're the one who caused your father's accident. You're going to confess to your parents. Should my command be ignored, a disaster beyond your imagination will occur," Mia threatened.

"Plagiarism!" Demetrius exclaimed.

"Shut up," Mia shot back.

"Fine. Maybe I did cause the accident. Why would I do anything for you? All you've ever done for me is steal my brother. I'm not confessing," Athena said defiantly.

Mia's expression softened. "Look, I'm sorry you feel that way. It's just that I've known your brother for a long time. We're dating now, and we love each other very much. I'm sorry if it upsets you, but if you loved your brother, then you would want him to be happy."

"I do love Demetrius."

"Then you should confess to your parents that you spilled that water in the kitchen, causing your father to get hurt. It's the right thing to do, isn't it?"

"Fine. I'll tell them," Athena conceded. She left the room, slightly angry.

"And that's how it's done," Mia said as she winked at Demetrius.