Chapter 29: Catherine Destler

When Christine awoke, she had Erik bring Gustave into the room.
   Gustave entered slowly, afraid to make even the littlest noise.

   "Come, Gustave. Meet your sister," Christine beckoned.

   Gustave did as his mother told him and moved closer. "She's perfect," Gustave finally said. "What's her name?"

   "Catherine. Catherine Destler," Erik replied.

   Christine slowly placed Catherine in her brother's arms. Christine shed a few tears at seeing both of her perfect children together. She could tell that Gustave loved his sister.
   Gustave teared up as he looked at his sister. He saw that around her right ear she had the same twisted flesh as Erik. In that moment, Gustave decided that he would do everything in his power to protect Catherine. The world was a cruel place and he would try his hardest to protect her from it's hate.

   After a couple days, the family was able to return to their home underneath the opera house. It was a comfort for Christine to be able to get up and walk around, though she was still weak and needed some assistance. Erik was happy to provide that assistance to his wife when she needed it. He even carried her down the many flights of stairs leading to their home.
   Gustave immediately went to tell his friends the entire experience.

   "When do we get to meet Catherine?" Celeste asked excitedly.

   "Not for a week or so," Gustave replied.

   Erik and Christine spent every possible moment with their child. Erik hadn't donned his mask since the moment he first met his daughter. He wanted her to see his true self. Most of all, he wanted her to see that she wasn't alone.

   "She's so beautiful, Erik," Christine observed.

   "So is her mother," Erik replied with a smile.

   Christine blushed. "I love you so much, Erik."

   "I love you too, Christine," Erik said. He smiled as he gazed upon his wife and the joy on her face as she looked down at the small child in her arms.

   Christine looked up at her husband. "What are you thinking?"

   "I'm wishing I could make time stand still so that I can forever gaze upon your gorgeous face."

   "Do you want more?"

   "More what?"

   "More children."

   "I supposed we will have to wait and see," Erik responded. "As for now, I am content have Gustave and Catherine. I like our little family."

   "Me too," Christine agreed.

   Erik made dinner, and the family sat and talked. It was wonderful. Erik was perfectly happy with his life. He had a beautiful wife, a wonderful son, and an angel for a daughter. He knew that he would be chasing the boys away with his Punjab lasso. Erik chuckled.
   For once, all was right in the world of the Destler family.