Chapter 93: Dinner With Mia

That night, Demetrius planned to take Mia to a fancy restaurant. Before that day, it had been so long since they had seen each other. Demetrius felt that he owed it to Mia to take her to someplace nice. After all, it was his fault that they had been parted. He picked the girl up at the opera house half past seven that night.

"Where are we going?" Mia asked eagerly.

"Le Restaurant De Chic," Demetrius replied in his best imitation French accent.

Mia laughed. "Where are we really going?"

"The nice place on Main Street."

"You're joking."

"Not at all," Demetrius replied, flashing a smile. He reached out and tucked a piece of hair behind Mia's ear. He asked, "Do you always look this beautiful?"

Mia blushed. "Demetrius, you flatter me."

The pair entered the restaurant and were quickly seated. They ordered their meals and had a lively conversation.
Once dinner was finished, Demetrius paid the bill and then took Mia for a moonlight stroll around the quiet town.
It was only this quiet and beautiful at night. Night had it's way of bringing out the best in things. Sometimes it even changes people, makes them do things that they wouldn't normally do.
Up until now, Demetrius and Mia had been walking in silence, Demetrius's arm around the girl.

"Mia," Demetrius said softly, "I really like you."

"I like you too, Demetrius. I couldn't ask for a better best friend than you," she replied.

"No, you don't understand. I like you. I'm falling for you, Mia."

"Oh?"

"Mia, will you...do you want to get married?"

Mia pushed Demetrius away gently. "You are not seriously proposing to me right now."

"I've never been more serious about anything in my life. I love you, Mia Taylor," Demetrius confessed. "Will you marry me?"

"Demetrius, no," she said with an air of sadness. "I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't."

"Come on. We'll leave this dreaded place. We'll run away to New York City or Italy or London and we'll get married," Demetrius urged.

"Demetrius, we both know that you haven't thought this through. We can't just leave. We have lives here."

"But I love you. Don't you love me? I know you do. Say you do. Say you love me."

Mia did love Demetrius. More than anything else in the world. She finally admitted, "Yes, I love you. I love you, but we can't be together."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not good for you. I'm not the right person for you."

"Don't you see? You are the only person for me," he said with tears in his eyes. "If you reject me then I shall never recover, for you are the one for me."

"Demetrius, please, don't make this harder than it has to be," Mia begged. "I can't marry you."

"Then don't. We'll just date. We can take things easy. I won't rush you into anything you aren't ready for. I'll wait a thousand years if I have to."

"You would do that for me?"

"Of course I would. You are my world. I would do anything for you. Just promise you'll give me a chance."

Mia gently removed Demetrius's mask and pulled him in close, kissing him tenderly. "Demetrius, will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes, Darling," Demetrius replied, picking her up and swinging her around.

"Demetrius?"

"Yes, Mia?"

"I love you."