Chapter 96: The Proposals

The next day, Apollo was pacing the main room in a nervous sweat. Aphrodite entered the room, though Apollo didn't notice. He was too absorbed in his thoughts to recognize her presence.

   "Brother, Dear, you've been pacing the room like a mad man. I've been standing here for ten minutes and you haven't said a word to acknowledge my existence. Whatever is on your mind?" Aphrodite inquired with concern.

   "Can you keep a secret?" Apollo asked, after some consideration.

   "Always. Speak your mind."

   "Tonight, when we go to dinner with Vincent and Alice, I'm going to propose to Alice."

   Aphrodite was shocked. She had no idea what to think or say. The girl was emotionally conflicted. She was happy, yet she couldn't quite get used to thinking of her brother as a married man. After a few moments, Aphrodite said, "Apollo, that's...wonderful."

   "I'm incredibly apprehensive," the boy admitted.

   "Don't worry. Nothing bad will happen, I'm positive. Ali loves you dearly. She told me so herself. Do not fear."

   It took many hours, and a glass of champagne for Apollo to calm his nerves.
   At seven, Apollo and Aphrodite left the catacombs for Béret Framboise.
   The four were meeting at the restaurant, instead of going together, so that both of the men had time to go over their proposals before seeing their soon-to-be fiancées.
   Dinner was scrumptious, and after was when Apollo decided to propose.

   "Alice Gaston, you are a wonderful, beautiful woman. You have brought happiness into my life and I can't imagine living without you. Ali, will you do me the pleasure of becoming my wife?" Apollo asked confidently.

   Alice sat there for a minute, trying to find the right words. None came to her mind except for one, which immediately slipped off her tongue, "Yes."

   Apollo placed the ring on Alice's finger and kissed his fiancée. Vincent and Aphrodite clapped.
   Aphrodite loved her brother and, in this moment, was very happy for him, however she couldn't help feeling a bit jealous. She had been dating Vincent for the same amount of time Apollo had been dating Alice. She wondered why Vincent wasn't ready to take the next step. Despite her slight envy and curiosity, she still smiled and did not let her face give way to her emotions.
   Just then, Vincent got out of his seat, moved closer to Aphrodite, and got down on one knee. He pulled a little velvet box from his pocket and opened it.

   "Aphrodite Destler, you are the most beautiful person I have ever met. You are the light of my life. You have made me a better person. I haven't any idea what I would do without you. I love you. Will you marry me?" Vincent asked.

   Aphrodite was so surprised and overcome with emotion that she couldn't even formulate words. Tears streamed down her rosy cheeks as she nodded in reply.
   This time, all in attendance at the restaurant clapped at the sight of the happy couple.
   Meanwhile, Apollo was feeling a little upstaged. Still, he clapped for his sister and her fiancé.
   The two couples were extremely happy.