Chapter 11: Discussions and Decisions

One night, Meg was making the couple dinner so that they could have some time alone.

"Erik, would you want more children?" Christine inquired.

"Nothing would make me happier than having many children with you, Christine," Erik paused. "I just think that we were fortunate that Gustave isn't...like me. If we have more children, we run the risk of at least one of them getting it."

"But what would that matter? We would love the child just the same."

"I know what the world is like to people who are...different: no kind works from anyone, no compassion anywhere, Christine. I was met with hatred everywhere. How do you think our child would be treated?"

"Erik, it's a different world-"

"No, Christine, it's not," Erik said firmly. "It pains me to say this, but we can't have more children. We can't risk it."

Christine thought of so many ways she could respond to that. She didn't feel it was right that he got to make the decision. "Why is he treating me this way? He needs to be put in his place," she thought. Then she remembered how hard his life had been. She remembered the old Erik. "Maybe I should watch what I say," she said silently to herself. She said aloud, "Darling, I think you're worrying too much."

Erik couldn't help but smile at his wife. She was so young, so beautiful. He looked into her eyes and could see how desperately she wanted children. "Maybe you're right," he said after some consideration.

Deep down, Christine knew that Erik was right. If they had another child, there was a very high risk that they would inherit Erik's deformity in some way. Christine didn't care about that aspect. She would love the child, deformity or not. It was how the world would treat the child. That's what worried her. Her husband had suffered so much for something that he had no control over. "Who am I to bear a child just to satisfy my own selfish desires, when I could indeed be condemning yet another to be tortured by the world and it's hate as Erik has been?" Christine asked herself.
Erik could tell his wife was thinking. "What are your thoughts, Angel?"

"I must be so selfish to want another child and not even have considered what might become of it," she replied.

"It's not selfish. You didn't consider it because you would love the child either way. What the child looks like wouldn't matter to you," Erik said in a fatherly tone. "I love that about you."

"That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you, my Angel."

"I'm not totally opposed to having another child," Erik commented after some consideration. "I think the risk would be worth it."

Christine flew into Erik's arms. "You would be willing to put my desires above your fears?"

"Anything for you, Angel."

"How about this: we wait until Gustave is ten. If, by then, we are both still wanting another child and we are doing well financially, we will have one."

Erik agreed and the couple went off to dinner. Meg wanted them to have dinner along but the couple coaxed her to join them. They decided to make it a family dinner, and they put Gustave in his chair and seated the chair at the table.
At dinner, the three adults discussed the trip back to Paris.

"I say that we leave the day after our anniversary. We will stay in the catacombs of the Opera Populaire. We can enter through the passageway we used to leave," Erik suggested.

"Yes. We will take Gustave to meet Madame Giry. After that, the four of us can go to dinner," Christine added.

"Four?" Meg questioned.

"Erik, me, Gustave, and you," Christine clarified.

"Oh, ok. I didn't know I was still being included in your plan. I'm glad," Meg said.

"Of course you're being included, Meg. You're part of the family now," Christine replied.

"On that note," Erik began.

"The diva's a disaster. Must you cast her when she's seasons past her prime?" Meg and Christine sang, cutting of Erik.

The room burst into laughter. Even little Gustave began to laugh, though he didn't know why the others found the remark so hilarious.

"As I was saying," Erik said, wiping a tear from his eye, "Meg, the night Gustave was born, Christine and I were talking and we would like you to come spend one week here every month. What do you say?"

"Yes, I'd love to!" Meg exclaimed. "Thank you!"

Erik gave a small nod. "Well, back to planning. After dinner we will return to the Opera Populaire. As stated before, Christine, Gustave, and I will have to enter through the passageway. We will spend the night there. The next morning, we will take Gustave to his grandfather's grave."

"After that, we should spend the rest of the day around town. We can visit the shops," Christine suggested.

"That sounds like a good plan. Meg, do you have anything to add?" Erik asked.

"No. just a question. When will you guys be leaving?" Meg asked.

"The next morning. We will only be staying for two days," Christine answered.

"I'll miss the three of you terribly," Meg confessed.

"Well, we still have a week before you leave. We'll make it really special," Christine said.