Chapter 47: Pierre and Clara Come To Dinner

That night, Catherine met Pierre on the rooftop again.

   "Where were you? I was worried sick," Pierre exclaimed.

   "I got held up. Speaking of, Bella knows about us," Catherine said quickly.

   "You seriously told her?" Pierre asked indignantly.

   "God in heavens, no. She somehow found out. I have no idea how or when, but she knows. Why are you so upset about this anyway? You were the one who wanted to 'tell the world of our relationship'. What's changed?"

   "Nothing's changed, Cathy. I just wanted to tell everybody together. That way, when your Father goes ballistic, I'll be there to make sure he doesn't kill you."

   "If anybody was going to be killed, it would be you. That's why I wanted to tell him alone. I think he would be more acceptive of our relationship if it was just me telling him. I'm trying to avoid the classic Erik lash out."

   "Come on. What's the worst that could happen?"

   "The last time he got angry, he almost killed a man."

   "The key word being almost."

   "If my mother wasn't there, and if my father didn't love my mother very much, he would have killed the other guy. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have."

   "Okay. Maybe you should tell him alone. I think it should be sooner rather than later. The longer we hide this, the more angry he'll be. I don't want to constantly have to keep my hand at the level of my eyes," Pierre decided.

   "I want him to meet you first before I tell him. You've only ever met my mother," Catherine reminded.

   "Oh, that's right."

   "I have an idea. I'm going to talk to my parents and ask if I can have you and Clara for dinner tomorrow night. It'll be totally casual. Then when they say yes, I'll come up here and ask you and Clara. I'll have to lead you through the catacombs -you will positively get lost if you go on your own- and when you get there, be super nice. Don't make it look like you are trying to be, though. Make it natural. My father can spot a bad actor from a mile away. After I guide the two of you back to your rooms and I return to the main room, I'll ask my father what he thinks of you and when he says he likes you, I'll tell him we've been dating for a month."

   "I'm still nervous about you telling him on your own."

   "Don't be. He won't hurt me," Catherine said firmly. "I'm telling him on my own whether you like it or not. I'm not putting you in danger."

   Pierre grabbed Catherine around the waist and kissed her long and full on the lips.

   "What was that for?" Catherine asked.

   "I love you, Catherine Destler."

   "I love you too, Pierre Lecomte."

   "Catherine Lecomte," Pierre whispered to himself.

   "What did you say?"

   "Oh, nothing," the boy said quickly. "You should get back home now. It's late."

   "Okay. Goodnight, my love."

   Catherine returned home and immediately went to sleep. She would need all the strength she could get for the next day.
   She awoke early. She could hear noises coming from Gustave and Bella's room.

   "Gustave and Bella are awake. That makes this significantly harder," Catherine said aloud to no one. She put on her day dress and ran down the hallway. "Mother! Father!" She called out.

   "Yes?" Erik asked.

   "What is it, Darling?" Christine inquired.

   "Can we have Pierre and Clara over for dinner tonight?" Catherine asked.

   "Who?" Erik questioned.

   "My friends Pierre Lecomte and Clara Marcoux," Catherine replied.

   "I don't believe I've met them. I would like to. Christine, what do you think?" Erik inquired.

   "I'm okay with them coming over," Christine replied. "Go ask them now before they make other plans."

   Cathrine took of like a shot. She didn't want to waste a second. She wasn't about to give her parents time to change their mind.
   She ran as fast as could until she finally reached Pierre's room. She pounded on the door.

   "Pierre, open up! It's me!" Catherine yelled.

   "They said yes?" He asked, opening the door.

   "They said yes," Catherine replied, jumping into Pierre's arms. "You need to make a good first impression on my father. He's not going to be happy that his seven-year-old daughter is dating. Hopefully, if he sees how nice you are, he'll be okay with the arrangement."

   "Yes, my love. Anything you say. Now, go ask Clara. Make haste."

   Catherine took off running again. This entire night was dependent on Clara coming.

   "Clara, would you like to join my family and I for dinner?" Catherine asked once her friend opened the door.

   Clara excepted the invitation and Catherine returned to the catacombs.
   Catherine wanted to make sure everything was perfect for that night. One misstep and Pierre could get killed.
   Around five o'clock, Catherine left to go retrieve her friends. She first went to Pierre's room and greeted him with a kiss on the cheek.

   "Are you ready for tonight, Cathy?" Pierre asked.

   "I'm as ready as I'll ever be," Catherine replied. "Also, just for tonight, call me Catherine. Don't call me Cathy. I don't let others call me Cathy and my family would get suspicious if you did and I let you."

   "Okay. Enough talk of this. We should enjoy our night. Let's go fetch Clara."

   The couple went and retrieved their friend, and Catherine led them down through the labyrinth.

   "Welcome!" Christine greeted.

   "Madame Destler, it is lovely to see you again," Pierre greeted back

   "It is equally as lovely to see you Monsieur Lecomte. Mademoiselle Marcoux, you look radiant," Christine complimented. "Allow me to introduce you to my husband Erik Destler."

   Pierre shook Erik's hand. "It is a pleasure, Monsieur Destler."

   "On my end, as well," Erik replied.

   Gustave and Bella were also introduced to Pierre and Clara, when they entered the room.
   The party ate and talked lively. All had a splendid time and at the end of the night, Erik said, "Monsieur Lecomte, Mademoiselle Marcoux, it's been a pleasure. I certainly hope you may join us again soon."

   "Let's hope you still feel that way after I tell you my news," Catherine thought. She showed her guests back to their rooms.

   "I will see you tomorrow, Cathy," Pierre said after giving her a goodnight kiss on the forehead.

   "If all goes well," Catherine added with a weak smile.

   Catherine hurried back down to the catacombs. When she reached the main room, she found her father sitting down, reading the newspaper.

   "Father, could I talk to you for a minute?" Catherine asked.

   "Of course, Darling," Erik replied. "What is it?"

   "What do you think of Pierre?"

   "I think Pierre is a very nice boy. He's obviously intelligent, very well-read, and he is definitely kindhearted."

   "He really is," Catherine paused. "Father, I...Pierre and I...we...we've been...sort of...secretly dating for a month."

   "You what?" Erik's voice boomed.

   "I've been dating Pierre for a month," Catherine stated, a bit more confidently.

   "Christine, we have a situation!" Erik yelled.