Chapter 86: Shocking Discovery

Apollo spent the night in his sister's room. He didn't sleep a wink. He spent every moment making sure that his sister was still breathing.
   The next morning, Catherine took her brother's place and told him to get some rest.
   Instead of resting, Apollo went up to Alice's room. He knocked on the door and it was opened by a short, blonde haired, green eyed girl.

   "Apollo, it's seven in the morning. What are you doing here?" Alice asked.

   "I assume you've heard of the chandelier crash," Apollo said.

   "Yes, I have. I'm glad that it's been fixed already," Alice replied with a sigh of relief.

   "I did it. I crashed the chandelier. Are you impressed?"

   "What? No. Why on God's green earth would I be impressed by you crashing the chandelier?"

   "You know, I didn't really think that through. I might be crazy."

   Meanwhile, Monsieur André had been inspecting all the cables and made an interesting discovery. He immediately reported to Erik. Erik could hardly contain his relief when he heard the news. He instantly returned home to report this news to his son. Erik called Apollo's name.

   "He's not here," Gustave reported. "He went to go see a friend."

   "When will he be back?" Erik asked.

   "When will who be back?" Apollo inquired as he entered the main room.

   "My son, I have wonderful news. You didn't crash the chandelier," Erik reported.

   "Yes, Father, I did. I was there. I cut the cable."

   "That's the thing, Apollo. You cut the wrong cable. The cable you cut was attached to a backdrop. The chandelier fell because the new stage hand was working in the back and pulled the wrong lever," Erik explained.

   "But the cable I cut was labeled 'chandelier'," Apollo remembered.

   "It was incorrectly marked," Erik reported. "Apollo, it wasn't your fault. None of it was."

   Apollo gave a sigh of relief. "I have to go tell Aphrodite the good news."

   Apollo slowly entered the doorway and was surprised to find Catherine and Aphrodite engaged in a rather joyous conversation. The two were laughing hysterically.

   "What is the meaning of this?" Apollo asked.

   "Aphrodite just told the funniest joke," Catherine laughed.

   "Oh, Apollo, do sit and talk with us. What is it that brings you in here?" Aphrodite inquired.

   "I just got the most wonderful news. I wasn't the one to crash the chandelier. It was the new stage hand that did it," Apollo reported. Aphrodite gave a confused expression and her brother explained further.

   "Apollo, I'm so relieved to hear that," Aphrodite exclaimed.

   "I'm just glad to see that you are doing better today," Apollo replied.

   Aphrodite gestured for Catherine to leave the room. Once she did, Aphrodite said, "Apollo, you really needn't worry so much about me. My hearing and sense of smell have been recovered. I am doing just fine."

   "And what of your sight?"

   "My right eye is still blind, but I am making a better recovery than was expected. It's only the day after and I have recovered two of the four things that I lost."

   "Four things? I'm only counting three. Sight, sense of smell, and hearing. What is the fourth?"

   Aphrodite looked away in shame. "Beauty."

   "That's not true. You are still very beautiful," Apollo insisted.

   "Dear brother, I have seen my face in the mirror. The face I saw was not my own. It was ugly and distorted. I am not who I used to be. I am not the beautiful girl you speak of."

   "My sister, one does not have to have a perfect face to be beautiful. Just ask Father. He would know better than I."

   "Apollo, you needn't protect from what I know to be true. My face is badly scarred and it may not heal. You might have to get used to seeing me like this."

   Apollo took hold of his sister's burned hand. "My dear, you are going to be just fine. I know that you will make a full recovery."

   Aphrodite smiled weakly. "I need to rest. Will you read to me?"

   "Anything for you, love."