Chapter 38: New Girls

About two weeks later, Gustave and Lucas were sorting through Celeste's belongings.
   Gustave found a box full of letters that were all addressed to him. He asked Lucas if it would be okay if he kept them and Lucas consented.
   The two men finished and went to lunch.

   "That was easily one of the worst mornings of my life," Gustave stated as they sat down.

   "I hated having to relive all that. It was like losing her all over again," Lucas replied.

   "I'm sorry, man. I know how hard all of this has been for you."

   "Let's not talk about it. It's been a month since she died and I just want to think about something happy for once."

   The pair began to talk of the opera house and of the pretty chorus girls.

   "Have you met Monique and Bella Cartier?" Lucas asked.

   "No, I haven't. Are they new?" Gustave replied.

   "Yes. They moved here a week ago from Marseille. Monique is twenty-one and Bella is twenty," Lucas reported. "They are both gorgeous. Blonde hair, very tall, bright blue eyes. Oh, those eyes!"

   "So, what I'm hearing is, there are two beautiful girls living at the opera house, and one is your age and one is my age? How have I not met them yet?"

   As soon as the boys finished their meal, they returned to the Opera Populaire and immediately searched for the Cartier sisters.

   "Monique! Bella!" Lucas called out.

   "Lucas!" Monique exclaimed.

   "It's so good to see you again," Bella greeted.

   "It's good to see you too. I would like you to meet my friend Gustave Destler," Lucas said gesturing toward his friend.

   Bella immediately replied, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Monsieur Destler."

   "The pleasure is all mine, Mademoiselle Cartier. Please, called me Gustave," he said, kissing the back of her hand.

   "Please, call me Bella."

   "With pleasure."

   "Okay," Lucas interjected. "I'm afraid we have some important business to attend to, but I'm sure we'll see you both later. Goodbye, ladies."

   "Goodbye, Lucas," Monique replied.

   "Goodbye, Gustave," Bella exclaimed.

   The group parted and Lucas returned to the catacombs with Gustave.

   Gustave asked, "What important business?"

   "We have to pick up Christy and take her to Celeste's grave. Remember?"

   "That's right. Sorry, I got distracted," Gustave replied.

   "Distracted by a pretty face?" Lucas teased.

   "Maybe. Bella's cute, okay?"

   "Ask her out, Gustave. You're obviously into her."

   "I can't, Lucas. Celeste..."

   "Celeste would want you to be happy," Lucas assured. "Besides, you can't spend your life single just because your first girlfriend died. It's not practical."

   "It's know. You're right. I'll ask her to dinner after we return from the cemetery," Gustave replied.

   "No. Do it now. I know the way to the main room. I'll retrieve Christy and meet you up there. I know you. If you wait, you'll try to either talk yourself out of it, or think of fifty reasons why not to ask her out. Go now! Go now and leave me," Lucas commanded.

   Gustave did as his friend commanded. He was so nervous. It had been about seven years since he had asked someone out. "Why do I say?" He thought.

   "Bella!" Gustave called out when he reached the auditorium.

   "Gustave. What brings you here?" She asked.

   "This is incredibly forward of me, but would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight?" Gustave asked.

   "Oh, Gustave! I was hoping you would ask! Yes, I would love to go out to dinner with you. We could go right after rehearsal," she replied.

   "Perfect."