Chapter 7: Meg's Visit to London

Christine was seventeen and six months pregnant, when Meg visited the couple in London. Christine was happy when her friend came. She had missed her dearly, for it had been months since she had last seen her.
Erik, too, enjoyed seeing Meg. He never quite got to know her until she came to stay with them. He knew that Meg and Christine had been best friends for years, and that Meg was training to be a ballerina, living in the dormitories of the opera house. However, he didn't know much about her personality. He only knew the few things Christine had told him.
Meg had desperately wanted Erik to take her under his wing, as he had done with Christine, years ago. She knew, though, that it wouldn't be appropriate, considering he was now her best friend's husband.
One day, Erik had gone to the local market, leaving Christine and Meg were alone.

Meg said to Christine, "I wish that Erik would have given me voice lessons too, though I wouldn't dream of asking him now that the two of you are together."

"I appreciate your consideration, but I wouldn't object to Erik giving you a lesson or two during the duration of your stay with us. I could discuss it with him when he gets home, if you'd like," Christine replied.

"Oh Christine! That would be wonderful!" Meg embraced her friend.

Erik got home from the market and Christine asked him about giving Meg a few singing lessons. He said that he would agree if Christine would assist him. Christine agreed and the couple talked with Meg, who suggested that they just give one lesson, as the thing that needed to be focused on the most was the baby. Erik and Christine agreed and appreciated Meg's consideration.
They immediately started with the lesson, and the three had a great time together. Meg learned so much from Erik.

"Christine, you married a genius," Meg whispered.

"Erik is wonderful, isn't he?" Christine replied.

Afterward, the three entered into a lively conversation, reminiscing about their days at the Opera Populaire together.

"Carlotta was positively furious when she heard how big of a success you were the night of the gala, Christine," Meg remembered.

"What about the look on Monsieur André's face when Erik appeared at the masquerade dressed as Red Death?" Christine laughed.

"He was completely frightened," Erik added with a laugh.

"Meg, do you remember what Erik said to Monsieur André and Monsieur Firmin?" Christine asked.

"He said, 'My managers must learn that their place is in an office, not the arts!'" Meg laughed.

"I thought that they were going to wet themselves," Erik said.

The conversation continued long into the night, until they finally went to sleep.
Erik got up early the next day. He didn't tell Christine, but he was writing a song. He hadn't decided what to call it yet, but the song was about Christine. He had just begun to write it when he heard Christine coming down the stairs. Fortunately, being pregnant, Christine was slow at navigating her way down the stairs, so Erik had plenty of time to hide the paper and it's contents.

"Good morning, my Angel!" Erik greeted.

"Good morning, Erik," Christine replied.

"Is something wrong, my love?"

"Why would you think that?"

"You called me by my first name. You never address me as Erik unless something is wrong or you are discussing something serious," he explained.

Christine smiled. She was so happy that Erik knew her so well, "I was thinking about the baby. It will have never met Father."

"The baby will never meet either of my parents either," Erik commented.

Christine sat down on Erik's lap and said, "Yes, but your parents were terrible people."

"Exactly. I'm glad our child won't ever have meet them. However, I am sorry that the baby will never meet your father." Erik replied. "I'm sorry I never met your father. He sounds like he was a wonderful man."

Christine embraced Erik. "I love you," she said.

"Awe," Meg said softly.

"What was that?" Christine asked.

"It was me," Meg confessed as she walked down the remaining stairs. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I was coming downstairs and I heard you guys talking. I heard Erik say something was wrong and I was concerned."

The couple laughed and Christine said, "It's quite alright, Meg."

"Okay, as long as you aren't mad," Meg said. "I'm sorry that you're saddened, Christine. Try to think about positive things. Though your child won't get meet your father, they have you to tell him or her about the great Gustave Daaé and his magical violin."

"That's a very good way of thinking," Erik complimented.

"Yes, thank you, Meg. I needed that very much," Christine told her friend.

Erik and Christine had to go to the opera house to rehearse for an opera. Meg couldn't accompany them, so instead, she stayed home and did some light cleaning. As Meg was cleaning, she noticed a piece of paper under Erik's music box. She carefully picked it up and read the contents.

"This sounds like the beginning of a song. It's wonderful," Meg said aloud to no one. She thought some more. "This was obviously meant to be kept hidden and it's definitely Erik's handwriting." She put the paper back and continued cleaning.

Erik and Christine returned home a little after noon. They were surprised to find their humble abode spotless.

"Meg did all this?" Erik asked.

"I guess so," Christine replied, impressed.

"Welcome home!" Meg greeted.

"Meg," Christine began, "we can't thank you enough."

"I had some spare time with the two of you away at the opera house," Meg commented casually, as if it was no big deal.

Meg told Christine to go upstairs and freshen up. Meg wanted to talk to Erik alone, so Christine went upstairs and did as Meg suggested.

"Erik, may I have a moment alone with you?" Meg asked.

"Sure," was his reply.

"When I was cleaning, I found a piece of paper with song lyrics on it. I am certain it was your handwriting. Don't deny it. Are you indeed writing a song?" Meg questioned.

"Shh. Meg, don't speak so loud," Erik began. "Yes, I'm writing a song, but you can't say a word to Christine. The song is about her."

"I promise I won't tell her. What will you call this song of yours?"

"I haven't decided yet," Erik replied.

"I'm sure it will be wonderful. I think I hear Christine coming. Shh," Meg whispered. She was correct, for just then, Christine entered the room and asked what they had been talking about.
Meg told her friend that she was talking to Erik about cleaning the house. It wasn't exactly a lie, but it was far enough from the truth where she wouldn't divulge anything about Erik's secret. Christine accepted this answer and didn't ask further questions.