Chapter 16: Gustave Finds Out the Truth

"You what?!" Gustave yelled. "How could you?"

"Gustave, listen. I was young and had been emotionally and physically hurt by the world and the people in it. Believe me, if I could somehow take it all back, I would, but I can't. I'm sorry. I hope someday you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I know I shall certainly never forgive myself," Erik said.

Gustave was upset. He was angry. How could his father have actually killed people? Gustave ran into his room and slammed the door.
Tears stung Erik's eyes as he buried his face in his hands. Christine moved to her husband's side, wrapped her arms around his broad shoulders, and rested her head on him.

"It's going to be okay," Christine comforted.

"No, it won't. He's never going to forgive me. Every time he looks at me, he'll only see a heartless murderer," Erik muttered.

"Erik, that's not true," Christine said in a motherly tone. "He may share many of your traits, but if he's anything like me, he'll see the good in you. You're a changed man."

"But Gustave doesn't think so."

Gustave didn't know what to think. His father was a murderer. A murderer.

Just then Christine entered his room. "Darling, can I talk to you for a minute?" She asked.

"Sure," Gustave replied.

"Baby, your father has made mistakes in his past, but he's different now. He's changed. I just talked to him. Gustave, your father is in tears because he thinks he's beyond your forgiveness. He loves you very much and your opinion means the world to him," Christine explained.

"Father really cried?"

"Yes. Your father was in tears when I left."

Gustave walked out of his room, down the hallway, and into the main room of Erik's lair. His father was sitting at the piano...crying. Christine was right. Gustave's father was actually upset. He walked over and tapped his father on the shoulder.

"I forgive you. I overreacted. I'm sorry," Gustave apologized.

"My son, I love you very much," Erik embraced the small boy.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Always."

"Why did you do it? Why did you kill people and haunt the opera house?"

"Because I was young and stupid. I was angry at the world for how I was treated," Erik explained.

"What happened?" Gustave questioned.

"My mother sold me to traveling gypsies. There I was kept in a cage like an animal. They called me 'the Devil's Child' and I was beaten in front of large crowds."

"I'm sorry. What did your father do about it?"

"My father didn't even know I existed."

Gustave embraced his father again. He had no idea that his father had gone through so much. He was sorry about the way he reacted in the first place.

"Could you show me your Punjab lasso?" Gustave asked.

Erik laughed. "How about instead we go see Meg?"

"Okay. Let's see if mother wants to come too."

"That sounds like a good idea."