Chapter 42: Mrs. Gustave Destler

It had taken months to plan the wedding, but the day had finally come.

   "Well, Gustave, you are getting married today," Erik began, fixing his son's bow tie. "I feel like I should be giving you final words of wisdom, but the only thing I can think of to say is this: Gustave, I have watched you grow and I never thought the day you would get married would come so soon. You have grown into a fine young man, Gustave. Bella is fortunate to have you. I was fortunate to have you."

   "You still have me. I'm not going anywhere. I promise," Gustave replied, his eyes filling with tears.

   Erik embraced his son. "Always treat Bella with respect, okay? Not that you would ever disrespect her, I just...I feel like I need to give you advice or..."

   "Father, you've given me everything I need. Thank you."

   The ceremony was held in the opera house. It was small and tasteful. The Opera Populaire was decorated in an abundance of white and silver.

   "Are you nervous?" Asked the best man.

   "Lucas, I'm terrified," Gustave replied.

   "Do you think Bella is nervous?"

   "If I know her, she's calm, cool, and collected."

   Meanwhile, Bella was in a back room with Monique, who was the maid of honor, and Catherine, who was the flower girl.

   "How are you doing, Bella?" Monique asked.

   "I'm a nervous wreck," Bella replied. "Why am I even doing this?"

   "Gustave. You love him, remember?" Catherine reminded.

   "Right. Gustave. Okay, panic over. Help me loosen my corset. I can't breathe."

   The ceremony began. Gustave was standing proudly as he waited for his bride at the altar.
   Erik took Bella's arm in his as he walked her down the aisle.
   Gustave teared up at the sight of his bride. Bella seemed as if she was glowing as the light flooded through the window panes, caressing her figure.

   "Well, our little boy is getting married," Erik whispered as he moved over to his wife.

   Christine only sobbed harder. Erik put his arm around her.
   The couple said their vows and the justice asked for the rings.

   "Do you, Gustave Destler, take Bella Cartier to be your wife, to have and to hold, as long as you both shall live?" The justice asked.

   "I do."

   "And do you, Bella Cartier, take Gustave Destler to be your husband, to have and to hold, as long as you both shall live?"

   "I do."

   "I now pronounce you: husband and wife. Gustave, you may kiss your bride."

   Gustave grabbed his new wife around the waist and kissed her tenderly.

   The next few days were a blur. The couple was busied with moving their things into the new room.
   Gustave still couldn't believe that he was married. He was actually a married man.
   They finally got everything moved in and furnished.

   "Welcome to your new home, Bella Destler," Gustave announced.

   "Gustave, it's wonderful. I can't believe how perfectly this has worked out for us," Bella replied.

   "It all seems like a dream."

   "If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up."

   The two spent the night together and slept in the next morning.

   "Are the two of you wake yet?" Christine asked, knocking on the door. "It's nearly nine o'clock in the morning."

   The couple quickly got dressed and joined the others for brunch.

   "And just what were you two doing?" Catherine asked with a raised eyebrow.

   Gustave and Bella exchanged glances.

   "We were...um...asleep," Gustave stuttered.

   "Uh huh. Don't think I'm not aware of your shenanigans. The walls are very thin, you know."

   Bella blushed. "How did you sleep?" She asked, trying to change the subject.

   "Very well."

   The family talked all throughout breakfast. Erik and Christine liked having Bella around. She was a kind person and was very considerate. Erik was so at ease with her that he didn't even wear his mask around her.
   Erik was telling Bella of his time with the traveling gypsies. He had just finished when he realized that Christine hadn't said a word in quite some time.

   "Is something wrong, Dear?" Erik asked.

   Christine took this moment to stand up and announce, "I have something to tell all of you."