Chapter 102: Old Friends Return

Two days later, Pierre and Catherine headed out to the docks to meet Clara. At the same time, Gustave and Bella set out for the same destination to meet Lucas, Monique, and Christy. Each couple left at different times, so they didn't see each other at first.
   Pierre and Catherine were the first to arrive at the docks. They were very surprised when their family arrived there too.

   "Gustave! Bella!" Catherine called. "What are you two doing here?"

   "We are picking up Lucas, Monique, and Christy. They are moving back from London permanently," Gustave explained. "What brings the two of you here?"

   "We are picking up Clara Marcoux. She's moving back here from New York City. Do you remember her?" Pierre asked.

   "Yes, I remember her very well. The two of you must be excited to have her be coming back," Gustave replied.

   "You must be equally as excited to have your childhood friend return home," Catherine observed.

   "Yes, we both are," Bella replied.

   Clara was the first one to get off the large ship. She immediately called out to her two friends, who instantly ran to the girl and embraced her.

   "I've missed you so much!" Clara exclaimed.

   "We've missed you too," Catherine replied with tears in her eyes. "You haven't changed a bit."

   "Neither have of you. Where are your lovely children?" The traveler asked.

   "At home. We will take you to them now," Catherine urged. "Gustave, Bella, we'll see you back at the apartment building."

   "Apartment building? What happened to living in the catacombs your entire life?" Clara questioned.

   "It became to be too crowded down there. Besides, sometimes children need to break free from their parents."

   Pierre added that he felt as if like he was always being watched by Erik. Catherine agreed that he likely was.
   With that, the trio departed and left for the apartment building.
   At that same moment, Lucas, Monique, and Christy were getting off their ship. Gustave immediately called out to the three, who in turn, rushed over to the Destler couple.

   "Lucas LeBlanc, it's been too long," Gustave said, pulling his friend into an embrace.

   "How long has it been since our last visit?" Lucas asked.

   "About six months," Bella replied.

   "Has it really been that long? My sister, how I've missed you," Monique exclaimed, embracing her sister.

   Christy stood their awkwardly. "Hello, Monsieur and Madame Destler."

   Bella looked over to the girl. "Dear Christy, why, you are a young woman now! Tell me, how old are you?"

   "Twenty-one," the girl replied shyly.

   "How is it that some handsome man has not snatched up this beauty?" Bella asked her sister in surprise.

   Christy replied, "I was married for about a week, but then my husband died of some illness that I cannot remember."

   "You poor thing! You must miss him terribly," Gustave surmised.

   "I married him for financial security. I suppose I loved him to a certain degree, but I wasn't overly attracted to him," Christy replied nonchalantly. She thought to herself, "I have my eyes set on someone else."

   Pierre and Catherine brought their friend to their apartment to meet their children. Victoria and Gabriel instantly loved Clara. She was great at telling stories and making up games. How was it possible that she wasn't a mother herself? How was it possible that some man hadn't asked her to marry him already? These were the questions that Catherine asked herself over and over.
   At the same time, Gustave and Bella were returning to their apartment with the two LeBlancs and Mademoiselle LeClair. Demetrius came to the living room to greet the trio and then immediately retreated to his room.
   About an hour later, Demetrius heard a knock in his door he asked who it was.

   "Christy," was the reply.

   Demetrius got up and walked over to the door. He opened it and asked, "What is it?" His tone gave away his annoyance.

   "I just wanted to say hello," the girl replied meekly. "Well, hello."

   "Hello," Demetrius said with an air of irritation. "Well, if that's all, then I should get back to my book."

   "Yes, I suppose Shakespeare doesn't read itself," Christy replied with a small smile.

   Not knowing what else to say or do, Demetrius gently closed the door.

   "I'll get you to like me. You wait and see," Christy whispered to herself.