Chapter 27: The Return of the Opera Ghost

Gustave and Celeste suggested their plan to Lucas. Lucas agreed to it and they began immediately.

   "What are we to say in this note? What is it's purpose?" Celeste asked.

   "Gustave, you're the expert. You're father was the Opera Ghost, after all. What do you suggest?" Lucas asked.

   "I say we demand that André and Firmin leave box five empty for our use," Gustave suggested.

   "That's a good start," Celeste commended.

   "We could also demand that André and Firmin make Celeste the Prima Donna in the upcoming opera," Lucas suggested.

   "Brilliant! We shall start immediately!" Gustave declared. Now, which of us is to write this note?"

   Lucas suggested that Gustave write the note since his father was the original Opera Ghost.

   "That's your excuse every time," Gustave thought, but said he agreed to write it.

   The three discussed what they were to say. When they finished Gustave read aloud the letter as follows:

   Dear André and Firmin,

   What a charming opera! Celeste was, in a word, sublime. I am anxious her career to progress in the upcoming opera. You will therefore cast her as the Prima Donna and put Carlotta in a secondary roll. I will watch the performance from box five which will be kept empty for me. Should my commands be ignored, a disaster beyond your imagine will occur.

   I remain, gentlemen, your obedient servant,
   O.G.

   "Does this sound threatening enough?" Gustave asked.

   "Definitely," Lucas and Celeste said in unison.

   "Does it sound too much like the notes my father sent years ago?" Gustave asked.

   "It sounds just enough like it to scare them," Celeste stated.

   The trio planted the note and waited to see André and Firmin's reactions.

   "Firmin! Come read this!" André exclaimed after reading the note.

   "Oh my goodness. Has Erik lost his mind? I thought he was over this Opera Ghost nonsense," Firmin said after he too read the note.

   "Guys, they think my father is behind this," Gustave whispered worriedly.

   "That's not good. I hope Erik doesn't get in trouble for the note," Celeste said.

   "I think we should go talk to Erik about this," Monsieur Firmin suggested.

   "We'll have to find him first," Monsieur André replied and the two managers walked off.

   "We have to fix this!" Lucas exclaimed.

   "My father's gonna kill me if he finds out," Gustave said.

   "What if we go to André and Firmin and just tell them that it was a joke? They'll understand. They seem like nice gentlemen," Celeste suggested.

   "That could work. Come on! We have to make haste if we want to talk to them before they find my father," Gustave declared.

   The three ran out of the room. Gustave was the first to spot the managers. "Monsieur André! Monsieur Firmin!" Gustave called out.

   "Ah! If it isn't Gustave Destler!" Firmin exclaimed.

   "What can we do for you Monsieur Destler?" André asked.

   "It was my friends and I who wrote the letter. It wasn't my father. It was just meant as a joke. We apologize," Gustave explained.

   The managers laughed.

   "Don't worry about it, Gustave. It's actually very funny." André said.

   Gustave and the siblings thanked the men and walked away.

   "I can't believe we got away with that," Celeste said.

   "I know. I'm so glad they have a sense of humor," Lucas replied, wiping his brow.

   Gustave also told of his relief, and soon departed from the siblings. He realized that he was late for dinner and knew that his mother would kill him.

   "Gustave, where were you?" Christine demanded when her son entered the room.

   "I was with Lucas and Celeste," Gustave answered.

   "What were the three of you doing that took so long?" Erik asked.

   "Pretending to be the Opera Ghost," Gustave replied nonchalantly.

   "Oh, that's nice," Erik said.