Chapter 49: Two Is Better Than One

Months later, Christine was in labor for the third time in her life.
The family once again had to go to the apartment building, for the doctor could not navigate the catacombs.

"Erik, it hurts. Make it stop," Christine begged.

"That might be a little hard to arrange," Erik replied. "Just hold my hand. We'll be at the apartment building in mere minutes."

Christine cried out in pain. She tightened her grip on Erik's hand.

"It's going to be okay," Erik comforted, kissing his wife on the cheek.

Bella sat next to Christine nervously. To think that she would be in the exact same situation as Christine in only three months was a little more than she could handle at the moment.
Gustave sensed his wife's discomfort and mouthed, "Don't worry."

They arrived at the apartment building and Christine was immediately taken by the doctor to see how far along she was.

"We should have the child with us soon," the doctor announced. He turned to Bella, "How have you been? Has everything been going smoothly?"

"Yes, everything's been great," she replied, rubbing her large stomach.

Gustave felt that he recognized the doctor, but he didn't know from where. He brought this up to Erik.

"This is the same doctor that examined me when I fell off that ladder several years ago," Erik replied.

"Oh, that's right. I remember now."

After a few hours, it was time for Christine to deliver the baby. Gustave, Bella, and Catherine were instructed to leave the room. They could hear Christine's screams from down the hallway. Bella shuddered.

"One more time," the doctor said.

"You can do it, Christine," Erik assured.

Christine gave a final push and the baby was born. How good it felt for that to be over.
Erik and Christine saw the expression on the doctor's face change.

"It appears our job isn't over. There is yet another," the doctor said.

"Why me?" Christine asked in vain.

"Another?" Erik asked, his throat running dry.

"Twins," the doctor observed.

The first baby was placed on Christine's chest. It was a girl. She was perfect.
Erik wiped sweat off his brow upon realizing she wasn't deformed.

"What will we call her?" The father asked.

"Aphrodite," Christine decided.

"She's got big shoes to fill," Erik remarked.

"She can do it. I know she can."

The doctor instructed for Aphrodite to have skin-to-skin with her father while Christine delivered the next baby.
It was hard, but with determination, Christine gave birth to the second child.
The expression on the doctor's face went grim. Nothing could have prepared the parents for what the doctor said next: "Stillborn. I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do."

Christine burst into tears as the doctor handed her the lifeless child. It was a little boy. He was perfect in every way.
The doctor took Aphrodite and left the room, giving the parents some time alone.

"He's...perfect," Christine said through sobs. "How did we lose him? This is all my fault. I just know it."

"It wasn't your fault, Christine. This wasn't anybody's fault. It was beyond our control," Erik replied, tears stinging his eyes.

"Are we still going to name him?" Christine asked.

"Of course we are."

"What should we name him?"

"Apollo," Erik decided.

"The Greek god of music. How fitting," Christine remarked. She put her hand on the small bundle's face. Her expression changed as she exclaimed, "He's breathing. Erik, he's not dead. Get the doctor! Quickly!"

Erik took off running. He was back in no time.

"I'm going to be frank," the doctor said after a few moments of examination. "Your son is in a critical state. He could die. He nearly did. All we can do now is skin-to-skin and hope for the best."